Kickin’ with Kyra: Everyone should celebrate Leap Day

I keep asking people what their plans are for Feb. 29, and I have received the same confused look every time; they wonder why it even matters. I find this ridiculous because we don’t normally get the gift of time, and that is exactly what Leap Day is. Leap Day doesn’t get enough credit, and it should be celebrated like any other holiday. 

This day can be viewed and treated however you want, but it only comes around every four years, so make it count. The science behind the strange day is due to the Earth’s orbit not being a whole number. Rounding up causes the extra day every four years and this is what keeps our seasons lined up each year. 

Another reason Leap Day is special is because there is a rule that Leap Day will be skipped if the year can be divided by 100, but not by 400. This is another factor in keeping the seasons set, and the next Leap Year that will be skipped is 2100. No matter the scientific reasoning or errors someone probably made when calculating the Earth's dance around the sun, Leap Day is fascinating.

Maybe you don’t even remember what you did on Feb. 29, 2020, but you should make it your goal to remember all the ones that come after it. Each Leap Day you are a whole new person, as you’ve aged four years with so many new experiences. Celebrate each new version of yourself that gets to experience a bonus day.

There are so many ways to celebrate the day, and my favorite idea is the classic holiday celebration: throwing a party. Get all your favorite people together in one place and enjoy the occasion you won't see for another 1,461 days. You could get similar sparkly decorations to what you would use for New Year's to ring in the Leap Year.

There is a lot of back-and-forth about how and when those who were born on a Leap Day celebrate their birthdays. Here's my suggestion: stop talking about it and do something amazing for those born on February 29. They only see their date of birth a handful of times so make it special.

Whether good or bad, Leap Day is also full of superstitions and mystery. There are urban legends about traditions that must take place on the day or the negatives of being born on it. It is also associated with the flip of stereotypic gender roles. An Irish legend even says that a man cannot refuse a marriage proposal made by a woman on Leap Day, but people also say you shouldn’t get married or divorced during the Leap Year. Leap Day is also historically relevant, and some ancient calendars even had leap months on them.

You won’t see another Leap Day for four more years. Whether you believe in the mystical aspects or not, enjoy the special gift of time. We gain a whole day that we miss out on most years, so don’t let it pass by without recognition. 

Kyra Dapore is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Kyra know by emailing her at kd364521@ohio.edu