'Lisa Frankenstein' delivers campy gothic comedy

Written by the twistedly unserious mind behind "Jennifer's Body" and "Juno," "Lisa Frankenstein" is dripping in 1980s nostalgia and ultimately makes for a fun — if shallow — watch.

This horror comedy follows the story of Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton), a socially awkward, occasionally creepy teenager who moves to a new high school after her dad (Joe Chrest) marries his new wife, Janet (Carla Gugino), following her mother's murder. Lisa struggles to make friends and relies on her ditsy yet sincere step-sister Taffy (Liza Soberano) to help her through the trials and tribulations of being the new kid. 

However, she isn't alone for long. On the night of a party that goes bad for Lisa, she accidentally brings back to life the man buried under her favorite tombstone (Cole Sprouse) in the supposedly cursed cemetery behind her house. Lisa's accidental necromancy snowballs into a chaotic adaptation of Mary Shelley's classic "Frankenstein." 

A main draw to this movie is its writer, Diablo Cody. Cody helmed one of the 21st century's greatest horror comedies, "Jennifer's Body," as well as the modern classic, "Juno." She has a distinct style that appeals to a niche audience, i.e., fans of campy movies with LGBTQIA+ themes, an audience I consider myself a part of.

Cody's writing is superb in "Lisa Frankenstein." The jokes directed at Lisa are always funny. Every snide remark, one-liner, or sneaky middle finger lands beautifully. Although some aspects of the plot feel a little on the nose, like Michael Trent's (Henry Eikenberry) character, it is still funny overall. 

One of the best aspects of both the writing and the acting is Cole Sprouse's character. Audiences don't hear him speak until the very end, yet the way he expresses emotions and complex feelings with little verbal exposition is super effective. It makes Sprouse's character, affectionately referred to as ‘"The Creature," a very sympathetic one.

Additionally, the movie handles sexuality in a way that is not tacky. I watched this movie with my dad, and I never felt uncomfortable during the sex scenes. These scenes capture the awkwardness of having sex in high school without making audiences too uncomfortable — an incredible feat, especially considering Lisa is having sex with a zombie. 

Another commendable aspect of "Lisa Frankenstein" is the acting. Regardless of their role, each actor effectively pulls off their characters. Their performances make getting engrossed in the world of director Zelda Williams and Cody easy. Campy horror movies tend to include some pretty poor acting performances, but "Lisa Frankenstein" proves this trope wrong.

However, I do have critiques. Most characters other than Lisa and The Creature feel underdeveloped. This is especially apparent with Lisa's stepmom, Janet. It's never explained why she hates Lisa or why her daughter Taffy is occasionally mean to her but sometimes incredibly kind. Janet's relationships and motives are never fully developed and can make scenes with her feel awkward despite the amazing performance from Gugino.

In general, "Lisa Frankenstein" is worth seeing. The writing, acting, 1980s music and visual aesthetic make for an enjoyable viewing experience. The somewhat underdeveloped characters are not enough to stop me from recommending a good watch. 

Rating: 4/5

@_jackson_mccoy_

jm049122@ohio.edu