Shereef Mitchell (4) Guard position on Ohio Univeristy's Mens Basketball team shoots an open three pointer at The Convo, in Athens, Ohio on Dec. 6, 2023.

Men's Basketball: Ohio takes on Kent State in Mid-American Conference rematch

After an incredible three-week period in which Ohio (13-12, 7-5 Mid-American Conference) won six of seven games, the team has faced some defensive turmoil, allowing 100 points and 85 points in back-to-back games. The team will look to get back to winning ways against an opponent it defeated three weeks ago in Kent State (13-12, 6-6 MAC).

Since facing the Bobcats in January, the Golden Flashes have won three of their last four games against MAC opponents. Kent State's winning streak includes 30+ point wins over Buffalo and Northern Illinois.

While Ohio took the road matchup 71-64, the team will be playing a much hotter Kent State team than the one they faced off against earlier in the season.

Here's what to know for a second glance at Kent State:

Game Information:

Opponent: Kent State

Date and time: Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Location: The Convo

How to watch: ESPN +

Statistical leaders:

Points: Jalen Sullinger (14.6 per game)

Rebounds: Chris Payton Jr. (7.4 per game)

Assists: Giovanni Santiago (4.1 per game)

Steals: Santiago (1.5 per game)

Blocks: Payton Jr. (1.1 per game)

Field-Goal Percentage: Cli'Ron Hornbeak (64.6)

3-point Percentage: Tyem Freeman (46.7)

Free-throw Percentage: Reggie Bass (85.2)

First matchup:

Like many teams this season, Ohio struggled to neutralize Chris Payton Jr., who went for 13 points on five of eight shooting. The Bobcats did manage to force the Golden Flashes' forward into four turnovers. Tyem Freeman, a contributor who came off the Golden Flashes bench, tied his season high with 16 points. A 3-point specialist, Freeman's offensive capabilities will be something to look out for on Tuesday.

Ohio was led by Jaylin Hunter in its win over Kent State. Hunter went for a game-high 17 points with five rebounds and five assists. Ajay Sheldon was Ohio's most efficient scorer with 12 points making four of five field goal attempts.

Keys to the game:

If Ohio's Guards have the same offensive success on Tuesday as they did in the first matchup, it will be tough to deny Ohio of its fifth straight home win. Defensively, Ohio will be tasked with stopping Hornbeak and Payton Jr. from being their effective selves on the interior.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu