Phil Angervil (91) brings the puck around the backside of the goal in Fridays match against Iowa State at Bird Ice Arena in Athens, Ohio. Feb. 2 2024

Hockey: Scott Bird makes 36 saves in Ohio shutout win over Iowa State

It was Scott Bird's night in Bird Arena. Packed once again this Sib’s Weekend, fans lined up to see Ohio take on Iowa State. It was another winning night for the Bobcats, taking down the Cyclones 2-0. 

Ohio currently has four goaltenders all competing for game time. This was Bird’s fourth game with the team since transferring from Liberty, and he took the chance to show off his skills.

“It feels great to kinda get yourself back in the game, especially the physicality of it,” Bird said.

Bird had save after save, although both teams brought a lot of competitive defensive energy to the ice. Despite a slow first period, he stayed locked in till the end. It was a low-scoring game, further attesting to both goaltenders' skills. 

“He played unbelievable, not only the saves he makes but also his ability to play the puck,” Head coach Lionel Mauron said. “It is like having an extra defenseman out there.”

Bird saved 36 shots on goal, the most he has saved so far at Ohio. He attributed his success to his teammates and the fans in the stands, adding the energy in the arena gave him the confidence to play a shutout game. 

“When you get in those scrumps, it's fun,“ Bird said. "You hear the noise and it gets loud and you just can't help yourself, get little butterflies. Man this is so fun, I am so thankful to be there.” 

Bird is now 3-1 goaltending for the Bobcats, Saturday night was by far his most successful game. Mauron felt the game was a pivotal point for Bird. Reading the plays well and anticipating shot after shot, he led the Bobcats to victory.

“You can’t control the outcome of the game,” Bird said. “You can only control how you play.”

mm401222@ohio.edu