Toledo Rockets lead 37-31 against the Ohio Bobcats at the half at the Semi-Finals of the MAC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Cleveland, Ohio on March 10, 2023.

Men's Basketball: Ohio set to take on Toledo

Ohio (13-11, 7-4 Mid-American Conference) took a bit of a step back in its final nonconference game of the regular season against Arkansas State on Saturday. Ohio had a long time to recuperate between its loss and its game on Friday against Toldeo (15-9, 9-2 MAC).

Ohio will be up against one of the conference's best teams. Toledo has only lost two games in conference play, and the two losses have come against the other two teams currently in the top three of the MAC, both games having been on the road.

Toledo hasn't lost a home game since Dec. 20 against Vermont, a game Toledo fell 86-60. Since then, the Rockets have gone 5-0 at home in the conference.

The Rockets and Bobcats squared off in what was both teams' MAC opening game. The Rockets won a close, high-scoring game in Athens.

Ohio was led by Elmore James with 17 points, while Toledo was led by Ra'Heim Moss and Dante Maddox Jr. who both finished the game with 18 points. However, Maddox Jr. and Moss found very different ways to get there. Moss took 15 shots and made six of them; Maddox Jr. took just five shots but made 11 free throws.

Toledo's free-throw shooting was a big storyline as the team shot 31 free throws. To pick up a huge road win, Ohio will have to do a better job of defending Toledo without fouling.

Here's everything you need to know about Friday's game:

Game Information:

Opponent: Toledo

Date and time: Friday at 9 p.m.

Location: Savage Arena (Toledo)

How to watch: ESPN U

Meet the Opponent:

Head Coach: Tod Kowalczyk (14th season)

Projected starting lineup:

00 Ra'Heim Moss

01 Javan Simmons

03 Sonny Wilson

21 Dante Maddox Jr.

23 Tyler Cochran

Statistical Leaders

Points: Moss (16.5 per game)

Rebounds: Cochran (6.7 per game)

Assists: Moss (3 per game)

Steals: Cochran (2 per game)

Blocks: Cochran (1 per game)

Field-goal Percentage: Simmons (58.4)

3-point Percentage: Bryce Ford (43.5)

Free-throw Percentage: (84.8)

History:

Ohio has had a lot of difficulties against Toledo recently. The Bobcats have just one win against the Rockets in their last 11 tries. Ohio has had two five-game losing streaks against Toledo since 2018, split up by an enormous win from Ohio in the 2020-21 MAC tournament. The Bobcats eventually went on to win the MAC tournament and beat Virginia in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Player to watch: Toledo's Backcourt

Given Moss and Maddox Jr.'s place as Toledo's two leading scorers, combined with both players' strong outings against Ohio in the first matchup, make them easy selections as players to watch against Ohio.

Even though neither player has been especially efficient from the field, both are huge parts of the Rockets' offense. While Moss provides more of a threat as a passer, Maddox Jr. is more of a threat from 3-point range. Ohio will have to try its best to stop both players if it wants to pull off the road upset.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu