Luke Olson (30) follows through after a pitch against Miami at Bob Wren Stadium on April 14, 2023. | Photo by Ashley Beach for The Post

Baseball: Everything to know for the opening series against Lipscomb

Ohio is back in action this weekend, starting its season with a four-game series on the road against Lipscomb. Ohio will be looking to start the year on a good note after losing five of its last six games to end the 2023 season. Those late losses caused Ohio to narrowly miss out on the MAC tournament, but this season is an entirely different story.

Opponent: Lipscomb

Location: Dugan Field (Nashville, Tennessee) 

Dates and Times: Friday at 4 p.m., Saturday at noon, 3 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. 

Live stats can be followed here

Meet the Opponent 

Head Coach: Jeff Forehand (18th Season)

Impact Returners

Hayden Frank, Junior LHP

Kaleb Kantola, Redshirt Junior LHP

Alex Vergara, Senior OF

Trace Willhoite, Graduate INF

Austin Kelly, Senior C

Lipscomb Notes

This Lipscomb team is returning a lot of production from a successful 2023 campaign. The team’s top three leaders in both batting average and OPS are returning this season, and Frank and Kantola are all valuable arms who produced well on the mound for the Bisons last season. 

Lipscomb is the defending A-SUN Conference champion and is primed to have another successful season under its longtime head coach Jeff Forehand. The Bisons will be a tough opening challenge for the Bobcats, but a series win for them would be huge in the long run.

Player to Watch

Ohio’s fifth-year infielder Alex Finney will be the player to watch in its first series. Finney is one of many returning starters for the Bobcats, and he holds the highest batting average out of any returning players on the team (minimum two plate appearances a game). Finney’s production and presence at the plate will be for an Ohio team facing a lot of experience against Lipscomb.

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu