Ohio University sophomore Mason Brugh pins a George Mason wrestler at The Convo at Ohio University in Athens Ohio, Jan. 19, 2024.

Wrestling: Ohio travels to Central Michigan for MAC dual

Ohio will travel to the Great Lake State for a Sunday dual against Mid-American Conference foe, Central Michigan. 

While Ohio (5-4, 1-2 MAC) spent last weekend wrestling the MAC East in an in-state defeat at Cleveland State, Central Michigan (4-6, 2-1 MAC) found victory at Southern Illinois-Edwardsville in the West. 

There is one common opponent between the two: Northern Illinois. The Huskies won both duals and sit atop the MAC West at 4-1 (10-2 overall); they are also the only school in the conference to receive a (single) vote in the recent NWCA rankings, which would effectively rank them 32nd in the country.

Here is everything to know about Ohio’s 10th dual overall and fourth MAC dual of the season:

Match Information

Venue: McGuirk Arena, Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Date: Sunday, Feb. 4

Time: 2 p.m.

Watch: ESPN+

Recent Results

Ohio would like to get back on track after a 19-24 defeat against Cleveland State, where the team only saw four wrestlers earn victories; it was the middleweights, as it has been all season, putting points on the board for the Bobcats. 

Peyten Kellar and Garrett Thompson proved they are rightfully in the top 16 wrestlers nationally in their class through falls, Kellar in 2 minutes, 57 seconds, and Thompson in 46 seconds. 

Sal Perrine and Zayne Lehman kept their momentum on the season through favorable decisions of their own. Perrine is No. 20 in the 174-pound class; Lehman is No. 29 at 184-pounds.

Following an encouraging start at the previous week’s dual against George Mason, where Ohio won three of the lowest four weights, it dropped all four against Cleveland State. 

Central Michigan Overview

The Chippewas have not yet posted their probable wrestlers for the weekend, but previous results both last weekend and against Northern Illinois (two weekends ago) might give an idea of what to expect. 

Sean Spidle, Andrew Austin, and Ja’Kerion Merritt were defeated by the Huskies’ 125-, 133- and 141-pound wrestlers, just as the Bobcats’ were. Spidle wrestled last weekend at Southern Illinois and won.

The 149-pound wrestler looks like it might be Corbyn Munson, a sixth-year graduate student who sat atop the class in the most recent MAC rankings. 

Peyten Kellar looks like he could be in a MAC top-three showdown with Johnny Lovett at 157 pounds. Their last two duals indicate that Central Michigan’s 174-, 197- and 285-pound wrestlers will be Adrien Cramer, Cameron Wood and Bryan Caves. 

@mattpbutcher

mb484321@ohio.edu