Redshirt Freshman, Peyten Kellar, grabs Kent State opponent's ankle on Feb. 3, 2023 at The Convo, in Athens.

Wrestling: Ohio hosts SIUE with hopes of improving MAC Standing

Ohio (6-5, 2-3 Mid-American Conference) looks to add another win under its belt as it hosts SIUE (6-4, 3-2 MAC). As the regular season comes to an end, both teams will look for better placement in the MAC tournament as both squads sit at the middle of the pack in the conference.

Ohio is coming from a thriller of a win against rival Kent State, 34-15. This match saw the Bobcats score all 34 points consecutively after trailing 15-0 early. Meanwhile, SIUE wants to forget its last contest, losing 33-6 against Little Rock.

SIUE is again looking for MAC gold despite losing one of its best wrestlers last season. The Cougars’ Colton McKiernan was not only the top-ranked wrestler in the MAC in the 285-pound weight class, but also dominated the MAC tournament last year in his final season.

Match Information:

Time: Feb.17 at 7 p.m.

Location: The Convo

Where to Watch: ESPN+

Wrestler to Watch: Brock Woodcock

Despite being only a freshman, Brock Woodcock has already established himself as a top wrestler in the MAC. The 157-pound wrestler was named MAC wrestler of the week last week, his second time receiving the honor. Woodcock is coming off an impressive tournament win at the Greyhound Open, which included five straight wins with a fall and four technical falls. The match of the night should be the 157-pound duel between Woodstock and an undefeated Peyten Kellar for Ohio. It will be a match you won’t want to miss.

me989022@ohio.edu