Blabby Abby: Stop overcomplicating social media

I will never forget the day I logged on to Instagram for the very first time. It was simple and had what were truly unique features at the time. Like the many other innovative social media apps at the beginning of their time, it was exciting, shiny and new to me then. Now, I look at Instagram with confusion and utter exhaustion.

Every social media app feels as though they are ripping each other off, relabeling their features and adding more just to keep up with the competition. Some examples include the introduction of Instagram Stories in August 2016, being almost a direct copy of those on Snapchat, and more recently, TikTok ripping off BeReal with “TikTok Now” in September 2022. 

Not only has the innovation of features faded away almost completely, but it feels like we are at a point where social media apps are too crowded with noise due to both advertisements and features. 

I know I probably sound like a grandparent complaining about the complexity of the internet. However, the truth is when I log onto Instagram, I am there to post a photo, not scroll through “Reels” or use their shop feature. It all feels like too much. 

As much as I can hope for a mass simplification of social media platforms, it is most likely not happening anytime soon. It is extremely rare for platforms to take away or even add features based on the demand of consumers. I mean seriously, who asked for the ugly Snapchat update with the three-dimensional Bitmojis? 

The reason for this mass crowding of features is to keep up with other apps. As someone who is currently in school studying advertising and public relations, it is a common tactic. Think of it as similar to how Dunkin' Donuts released their own refreshers in 2020 to keep up with Starbucks. Unfortunately, this way of keeping up with the competition is causing social media to blend and not really stand out. 

I am exhausted from how social media looks now — I feel like I have to learn about a new feature every week. I wish apps like Snapchat and Instagram would quit trying to keep up with apps like TikTok or BeReal and instead focus on the features that made the apps distinctive from one another in the first place. If they want to add new features, they should listen to consumers’ suggestions for refining the app. 

I do not even want to start on the mess that is now X, formerly known as Twitter. From a terrible complete rebranding of the app to removing the option to block a user, I am unsure why I even have the app anymore. 

Social media platforms need to take a step back and focus on simplifying and refurbishing the apps they have narrowly destroyed. 

Take Coca-Cola for example. In 1985, one of the most memorable marketing mistakes in history occurred when Coca-Cola changed its formula to “New Coke.” People were outraged, and as a result, Coca-Cola brought back the old formula under the name “Coke Classic” and their sales skyrocketed. 

While this situation is quite different from that of the social media blunder we currently face, I think the model still stands. Bring back the simplified, nostalgic versions of the apps we came to know originally and leave room for innovation and refining features that already exist. We do not need more AI features, we don’t need another “For You Page” knock-off and we do not need another social media app to become a shopping website

Dear social media apps, stick to what you know best, but try and get creative with an original idea every once and a while. 

Abby Jenkins is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Abby know by tweeting her @abbyjenks18 or emailing her at aj205621@ohio.edu