Ohio University sophomore Mason Brugh pins a George Mason wrestler at The Convo at Ohio University in Athens Ohio, Jan. 19, 2024.

Wrestling: Ohio to dual Kent State for a spot in MAC basement

Ohio (5-5, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) will take a short trip north on Friday for a MAC West dual with in-state rival Kent State (5-13-1-3 MAC). One of the two schools will head into the weekend with its second conference victory of the season, and the other will remain alone in the basement of the standings.

Ohio is reeling from a 28-9 defeat at Central Michigan; Kent State enters the affair after winning 37-5 at Bloomsburg.

Here is everything to know about Ohio’s 11th dual overall and fifth MAC dual of the season:

Match Information

Venue: Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (Kent)

Date: Feb. 9

Time: 7 p.m.

Recent Results

The Bobcats lost seven of its 10 matches to the Chippewas last weekend. The only success they found, came from some of the team’s most reliable wrestlers, Peyten Kellar, Garrett Thompson and Zayne Lehman. 

Kellar is yet to lose at a dual meet all season, sitting at 8-0. He won by means of a 6-0 decision.

In the Bobcats' third and final win of the evening, Zayne Lehman earned a favorable 5-2 decision. 

Ryan Meek and Malachi O’Leary were defeated by tech falls, Jacob Padilla was pinned and the rest of the squad lost narrowly by a combined total of 10 points across four duals. 

Kent State  Overview

The Golden Flashes dominated the Huskies last weekend, winning nine of their 10 matches. The only defeat of the evening was Mitchell Brooksie, who succumbed to a technical fall after four minutes. 

Kent State only has three of its wrestlers ranked above Ohio’s in the January MAC wrestler power rankings – all of them in the lightweights.

Ryan Meek is three places behind Adam Benavidez at 125 pounds and Mason Brugh is two behind Pablo Castro at 133 pounds; Billy Meiszner is four spots ahead of Logan Cravatas. The Bobcats are ranked above the Golden Flashes in the remaining seven weight classes. 

@mattpbutcher

mb484321@ohio.edu