Sophomore Skipp Miller (19) goes to throw the ball at the game against Toledo at Ohio Softball Stadium on April 25, 2023, in Athens, Ohio.

Softball: Ohio looks to put rough weekend in the rearview mirror at Beach Chicken Brawl

Coming off one of the hottest starts in program history, Ohio has cooled off a bit following a 1-3 weekend at the Governors’ Classic in Clarksville, Tennessee. The three straight losses over the previous weekend demonstrate the fact that Ohio might still have some room to grow, particularly offensively, as it went just 1/9 with runners in scoring position with a sacrifice fly. Regardless, the beat rolls on and Ohio hits the road for its final tournament before home games and full series are underway. At the Beach Chicken Brawl, hosted by Coastal Carolina, Ohio will be met with two very strong teams as well as a slightly weaker one. 

Tournament Information: 

Opponents: Boston University, Coastal Carolina, George Mason

Location: Conway, South Carolina

Dates and Times: Game 1: Friday, March 8 at 10 a.m., Game 2: Friday at 3:30 p.m., Game 3: Saturday at 12:30 p.m., Game 4: Saturday at 6 p.m., Game 5: Sunday at 9:30 a.m.

Steaming is available for Game 2 as well as Game 4 on ESPN+.

Live stats: Available here for Game 1, Game 2, Game 3, Game 4 and Game 5

Games 1 and 3 vs. Boston University: 

2024 record: 13-1

Head coach: Ashley Walters, 9th season

Statistical leaders: 

Batting average: Avery Lizzy (.514)

Hits: Kayla Roncin (24)

Runs: Lauren Keleher (17)

Home runs: Keleher (4)

RBI: Keleher (4)

On-base percentage: Lizzy (.564)

Innings pitched: Kasey Ricard (44.0)

Strikeouts: Ricard (53)

ERA: Ricard (1.27)

Notes: 

Boston has been one of the best mid-major teams in the country to start the season. The 13-1 start illustrates the dominance in the early part of the season as it has been averaging 7.43 runs per game, No. 12 in the country while hitting for .343 as a team, ranking in the top 20 in the nation in that category. The well-rounded offense has been led by Avery Lizzy whose .514 average is No. 10 nationally. Not only has Lizzy been fabulous with the bat, so has Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year Kayla Roncin and Lauren Keleher.

In the circle, Boston has a two-headed monster led by Kasey Ricard and Allison Boaz, both of whom have an ERA below two. As a team, Boston is No. 15 in the country with its 1.67 ERA. The only person who inflates that number in the slightest is Lizzy, who is a two-way player and has a 2.86 ERA.

Some of the awe-inspiring numbers behind the start for Boston do not come as a surprise as the reigning Patriot League Champions return the majority of its roster from last season. In the Preseason Poll, Boston swept the five awards and received 12 out of the 14 first-place votes. 

Game 2 and 4 @ Coastal Carolina: 

2024 record: 12-6

Head coach: Kelly Green, 15th season

Statistical leaders: 

Batting average: Indya Smith (.356)

Hits: Delaney Keith (19)

Runs: Smith (12)

Home runs: Iyanla De Jesus (4)

RBI: De Jesus (15)

On-base percentage: Smith (.473)

Innings pitched: Raelee Brabham (56.0)

Strikeouts: Brabham (56)

ERA: Brabham (1.25)

Notes: 

Early in the season, Coastal Carolina has enjoyed some of the warm Spring weather that comes with being located so close to Myrtle Beach. To this point, Coastal Carolina has hosted three different weekend tournaments with the Beach Chicken Brawl being the fourth. Home-field advantage or not, the team has been very good this season. The 12-6 record does not display the fact that, with the exception of Liberty and Oakland, all of its losses have come against Power 5 opponents. 

At the plate, Coastal Carolina has not stood out quite as much as Boston. However, that should not diminish any of the production from the team this season. Led by Delaney Keith and Iyanla De Jesus, Coastal Carolina’s two representatives on the Preseason All-SBC Team, the offense has been able to scrap for enough runs in order to win. Coastal Carolina is 5-1 in games decided by two runs or fewer. 

In the circle, Coastal Carolina has been ruled by the magic number of five. In games that it allows less than five runs, Coastal Carolina is a staggering 12-2. In the circle, Raelee Brabham has impressed this season, emerging as the ace of the staff. 

Game 5 vs. George Mason: 

2024 record: 7-10

Head coach: Justin Walker, 4th season

Statistical leaders: 

Batting average: Rachel Warrens (.370)

Hits: Warrens and Mariaina Bozek (20)

Runs: Warrens (12)

Home runs: Kamryn Inman, Sydney Bales, Maddy Myers and Logan Pickford (1)

RBI: Myers (12)

On-base percentage: Warrens (.397)

Innings pitched: Carly Cooper (49.2)

Strikeouts: Cooper (30)

ERA: Kylie Wilkerson (2.18)

Notes: 

Coming off an appearance in the NCAA Tournament, expectations were high for George Mason entering the season. To start the year, it has not lived up to them as it lost four straight to open the season. Despite failing to live up to lofty expectations this season, this is a very solid team. Throwing the records aside, this is a similar team to the ones Ohio will face in the Mid-American Conference that can find ways to win even if underlying statistics might not look favorably upon the team. 

Last season, Ohio coach Jenna Hall got her first win in her first game as Ohio defeated George Mason. This year, George Mason is led by a contact-first approach that has only seen it hit a total of four home runs on the season. Additionally, George Mason has struggled to push runs across the board as it averages only 3.67 runs per game. That being said, the tone-setter for George Mason is Rachel Warrens, who leads in multiple categories offensively. 

In the circle, Carly Cooper is the workhorse, but Kylie Wilkerson has been rather effective this season, leading the team in ERA. Overall, George Mason does not stand out by any means on paper. However, it is a team that lives on opponents’ mistakes and capitalizes on errors and walks. To beat a team like this, Ohio might not have to play perfect softball, but clean ball to limit the chances for George Mason. 

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu