Liv Miraldi blends sorrowful themes, upbeat pop music 

Liv Miraldi is an L.A.-based singer-songwriter known for her viral singles "Wingwoman" and "Same People." Her newest track, "Friend of the Family," was released on March 1.  

The Ohio native has succeeded by helping other artists find their sound and tell their stories through her specialized knowledge of lyrics and musical concepts. She has previously worked with the likes of Tinashe, Mod Sun, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Natalie Jane, Johnny Orlando, Charlotte Sands, GAYLE, Arden Jones and VINCINT. 

While Miraldi's passion for supporting other artists has earned her acclaim in the music industry, she fell into her artistic journey by releasing uncut songs on TikTok, a platform on which she has amassed over 60,000 followers and millions of viewers. 

Miraldi's first single, "Undertow," was released in 2017. The track's simplicity allows room for her eventual growth as an artist, but it exemplifies a natural talent. Miraldi masters the intertwined relationship between lyrics and instrumentals in the simmering, sultry pop track. The song possesses an interesting concept as she emphasizes the metaphor of drowning in your daily life and being "caught up in the undertow." 

In 2022, Miraldi released "Wingwoman" alongside fellow musician, KOLE. The track boasts over 600,000 streams on Spotify and is a tactful blend of honest and initially painful lyrics with an upbeat pop sound. The sunny energy of the song, which is achieved through a drum machine and simple piano/guitar motifs, matches the eventual message of love for the woman who helps the singer handle life's difficulties. The song combines clever wordplay with simple testaments to female friendship, the most impactful of which is the collaboration of the song itself. 

A month after "Wingwoman" was released, Miraldi released "Same People." The song takes on an entirely different mood than its preceding track, featuring melancholy piano chords and a heartbreaking theme. "Same People" is a ballad about the toxic behavior of returning to the people who have hurt Miraldi in the past, despite the changes to their relationship. Her voice maintains the classic pop quality she displayed in "Wingwoman," but in a different, lower range. The chorus is a cinematic climax to the swelling verses, adding her signature drum machine sound to the dramatic piano. 

At the end of 2023, Miraldi released "Denver," which received support across multiple streaming platforms and was added to Spotify playlists New Music Friday, Next Gen Singer-Songwriters and Created by Women. The track is a heartbreaking ballad about unrequited love, expanding on the somber mood of "Same People." Miraldi's depth of emotion is portrayed through profound melodies, persistent pop drum machines, deep background harmonies and an indie-pop guitar theme. 

Miraldi's recent single, "Friend of the Family," is a haunting open letter to a parent having an affair.

"'Friend of the Family' was something I was afraid to talk about, so I knew I had to write it," Miraldi said. "I gave myself the space to feel the full range of my emotions. The song details the complexity of infidelity through the daughter's point of view." 

The moving track highlights the cruelty of hindsight, especially from the perspective of a woman who lived through the experience as a naive child. The song displays the best of Miraldi's lyrical talents, an example of which is the lyric, "Because my mom got the house but she took the f---ing home." The song delicately handles the conflicting emotions of a daughter toward her disloyal father, all while maintaining a seething anger behind a full, upbeat musical background. 

Liv Miraldi balances devastating themes with high-energy pop anthems. Her new project, "2019," is slated for release in 2024 and will continue to walk the line of painful themes and the oxymoronic musical package in which those themes are delivered. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu