Celebrities who produce more jet emissions than Taylor Swift

Recently, Taylor Swift has received attention from the media about how much CO2 she produces from her private jet. However, according to the myclimate carbon tracker, Swift does not produce the most private jet emissions. That website lets users see when and where celebrities and billionaires take private flights.

Emissions from aviation significantly contribute to climate change because airplanes burn fossil fuels. These fossil fuels not only release CO2 emissions but also have strong warming non-CO2 effects due to nitrogen oxides (NOx), vapor trails and cloud formations triggered by the altitude at which aircraft operate. These non-CO2 effects contribute twice as much to global warming as aircraft CO2 and were responsible for two-thirds of aviation’s climate impact in 2018.

Here is a list of celebrities who produced more private jet emissions than Taylor Swift in 2023:

Blake Shelton: Ranked No. 22

Country singer Blake Shelton made the list of most-produced jet emissions over Swift. Shelton is ranked #22 on the list of celebrities who produced the most jet emissions on the myclimate website. He completed a total of 73 flights in 2023, traveling 73,994 miles and producing 3,168,483 pounds of CO2 emissions. Shelton was on his “Back to the Honky Tonk” tour in 2023 in over 15 U.S. cities for two months. 

Jim Carrey: Ranked No. 15

Actor Jim Carrey has shockingly produced more jet emissions than Swift. He is ranked #15 on the list of jet emissions out of the 30 on the list. Carrey took a total of 78 flights throughout 2023. His flights totaled 123,329 miles and he produced 5,286,905 pounds of CO2 emissions. Carrey came out of acting retirement to work on the film “Sonic the Hedgehog 3,” which began filming in July 2023 in London. 

Celine Dion: Ranked No. 10

According to the website, Celine Dion made a total of 69 flights in 2023 and is ranked #10 on a list of 30 celebrities who produced the most jet emissions. The total distance she traveled was 124,829 miles and she produced 6,232,247 pounds of CO2 emissions. It is unclear why Dion traveled so frequently in 2023 after canceling her European leg of the “Courage World Tour” for medical reasons. 

Leonard Blavatnik: Ranked No. 8

Leonard Blavatnik is a Ukrainian-born businessman who is worth $31.3 billion. According to myclimate, he completed 121 flights last year and ranked #8 on most produced jet emissions. He traveled 144,236 miles and produced 6,901,130 pounds of CO2 emissions. 

Steven Spielberg: Ranked No. 6

Film director Steven Spielberg is in the top 10 of the list, sitting at #6. Spielberg completed 120 flights and traveled 168,714 miles on his private jet. He produced 8,072,887 pounds of CO2 emissions from these flights. Spielberg did not direct any films in 2023, but his most recent film, “The Fabelmans,” was up for many awards at different ceremonies. He was also seen traveling and enjoying his summer in Italy in 2023. 

Jay Z and Beyonce: Ranked No. 4

Jay Z and Beyonce are in the top five of the list, sitting at #4. Beyonce was on tour over the past year, so it makes sense why she is higher up on this list, but it is astonishing how no one seems to point the blame at this couple. The two completed 144 flights last year and traveled 222,237 miles. These flights produced a total of 9,519,119 pounds of CO2 emissions in 2023. Beyonce was on her “Renaissance World Tour” from May to October 2023, stopping at 39 cities. 

Kim Kardashian: Ranked No. 2

It is no surprise to see a Kardashian at the top of the list, and Kim ranks #2. Kim Kardashian traveled more than every other celebrity on the list, with 165 flights. She also traveled the furthest, 301,428 miles. She produced 12,913,797 pounds of CO2 emissions from her private jet. Kardashian made a lot of trips to Japan during the summer of 2023 and likes taking vacations all over. She also traveled to a lot of soccer matches because her sons are big soccer fans and like going to matches all over the world. 

Travis Scott: Ranked No. 1

Rapper Travis Scott holds the top spot of celebrities who produced the most private jet emissions in 2023. Scott completed a total of 137 flights and traveled 205,142 miles. Shockingly, his private jet produced 13,362,879 pounds of CO2 in 2023. Scott began his “Utopia-Circus Maximus Tour” in 2023, traveling to 28 cities, in the U.S. and Canada. 

ashleypomplas 

ap125920@ohio.edu