The Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities hosted its sixth annual march for disability awareness and Athens residents walked, rolled and strolled to the Athens Courthouse.

Community spreads disability awareness on Court Street

To kick off Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in March, the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities, or ACBDD, hosted its sixth annual march for disability awareness Friday morning. 

The march began outside the 4th floor of Baker Center and participants made their way down to the Athens Courthouse, 1 S. Court St. President of Athens County People First and the Athena Award recipient, William “Billy” Peacock, greeted participants with a speech and presentation. 

The march is only the first of the events ACBDD planned. Virtual Advocacy Day is March 12 at 70 N. Plains Rd., and anyone can join members of People First for a watch party of Advocacy Day activities at the Statehouse. Developmental Disability Awareness Fest is March 21 from 6-8 p.m. at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., and it is an opportunity for people to table and showcase their services to the Athens community. 

Autumn Brown, the director for Integrate Athens, a division within the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities, said the march’s purpose is to prompt integration and inclusion for those with disabilities, specifically developmental disabilities. 

“We always just like to bring our community together to talk about how they can help people feel included (and) get connected,” Brown said. “Accessibility is a huge barrier and just to know that our community really is better together.”

Every year, there is a theme for the events and this year’s theme is “Inclusive Athens County: It takes a community.” Brown said the tagline showcases the many community partners helping people with disabilities live a great life. 

She said Integrate Athens works with over 100 partners, including the City of Athens, Mayor Steve Patterson, the Athens County Community Singers, Ohio University, all of Athens's local school districts, some local businesses and the Athens Public Library.

“We had gained so much support with the (ACBDD) and the Athens community that people wanted to get together and show their unity and support for people with disabilities,” Brown said.  

Sarah*, a participant in the march who has Fragile X Syndrome, said she attended to support the march and ACBDD.

“I just hope that we spread this awareness and say, ‘Hey, we're okay,’” she said. 

She showed her support with signs, one of which read, “The only disability is a bad attitude.”

Another group participating in the march was Project SEARCH, a transitional program that provides training and education for individuals with disabilities to prepare for employment. According to their pamphlet, those enrolled in the program learn employability and job skills through internship rotations to plan and achieve goals. 

Alexis Frantz, the Project SEARCH instructor for Tri-County Career Center, attended the march with Sonya Erwin and Ashley Limo who are with Capabilities – an academic support service to leverage educational skills and strategies – to collaborate in support of their students. 

“(Project SEARCH) is funded by Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities,” Erwin said. “We coach our kids through three internships at O'Bleness Hospital where they can learn job skills and then we follow that up by getting them jobs.” 

There were many different signs participants held to spread their message including, “Inclusion Matters,” “It’s cool to include” and “Applauding beautiful individuals living independently together yesterday, today and tomorrow.”

A proclamation was read by Athens County Commissioner Chris Chmiel declaring March 2024 as Developmental Disability Awareness Month.

“Now, therefore, The Athens County Commissioners, do hereby claim March 2024 as Developmental Disability Awareness Month and offer full support to efforts that assist people with developmental disabilities to live independently and to participate inclusively with communities of their choosing,” Chmiel said. 

“I encourage everybody to come to the festival and enjoy ourselves and learn a lot,” Peacock said. “This will be a good chance for everybody to get to know the community better.”

*Source’s last name is omitted from the report upon request for privacy, as she is a minor.

ashleypomplas 

ap125920@ohio.edu