Girl Talk: Best of recent recycled fashion trends

Fashion trends that were popular in previous decades have been reintroduced in recent years. We have seen popular items from the ‘80s, ‘90s and the early 2000s make their way back onto the shelves. 

First, we will look at the best items from the ‘80s that have resurfaced. This decade of clothing contained so many fun and vibrant pieces, one of the best being the scrunchie. Scrunchies have been everywhere in the past few years, and for good reason. Not only are they durable and inexpensive, but Vogue describes them as an “ultimate finishing touch” as they help to add a pop of color to almost any outfit. 

Another ‘80s fashion trend that has once again become popular is mom jeans. One of the main reasons they have resurfaced is the practicality of the clothing. Mom jeans are functional because they can be paired with almost any top and still look amazing. Going out, staying in, or anything in between; mom jeans are a staple piece in an outfit for any occasion. 

Next, we will examine the ‘90s trends that are back today. This decade was all about clothing in many colorful and eccentric patterns, specifically sweaters. We can all picture the ‘90s sweater look with knitted designs and stripes. One of my favorite things about this look is it can easily be found in a thrift store. Not only does this make it a more accessible option for many, but also a sustainable choice. Large corporations like Goodwill recognize the positive environmental impact that thrifting has, and you should too, especially when it can result in finding pieces like this.  

Another ‘90s staple that’s made its way back is the plaid skirt. Like mom jeans, the plaid skirt’s appeal lies within its functionality. The plaid skirt can be paired with any outfit to embellish the overall appearance. It can serve as a business casual piece or a base for an outfit for a night out. 

The early 2000s is the last decade of recycled trends where we have seen countless items resurface. This decade brought us many fun hairstyles inspired by the movies and television shows that were popular at the time. My personal favorite part of these hairstyles is the clips. From butterflies to flowers to neon colors, there are endless options with this piece. 

One of my favorite recycled trends is the low-rise jeans of the early-2000s. While this piece may not offer the most mobility, it certainly is worth the struggle. My favorite thing about this piece is how specific it is to the decade in which it originated. These jeans are easily the most prominent way to say Y2K. Writer Liana Satenstein from Vogue even describes low-rise jeans as “unabashed confidence as its finest.” Overall, they are a distinct remnant of the early-2000s that create a unique look. 

Ultimately, there are so many fashion trends that are constantly being recycled in and out of style. Past decades have a variety of great pieces to offer, and it is exciting to see what will come back to the shelves in the future. 

Lola is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lola about her column? Email her at lm443122@ohio.edu.