Ohio right hand pitcher, Tyler Peck (6), steps to pitch the ball during a game against Central Michigan at Bob Wren Stadium, March 23, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: All you need to know for Ohio's series with Ball State this weekend

Ohio desperately needs to get back on track this weekend when it travels to Muncie, Indiana, to take on Ball State in a weekend conference series. Ohio is coming off a weekend in which it suffered a 2-1 series defeat to Central Michigan while surrendering 16 total runs across a three-game span. 

The Bobcats will be looking to get some better performances out of their starting rotation, which has fluctuated quite a bit all season long. Ohio has used seven different starters so far in 21 games played. 

Going up against Ball State, a team that shares some early conference woes, Ohio will be looking to grasp hold of some kind of momentum. 

Here is all you need to know for Ball State:

Game Information:

Opponent: Ball State 

Location: Varsity Baseball Complex (Muncie, Indiana)

Time: Thursday at 3 p.m., Friday at 1 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. 

How to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent:

Head Coach: Rich Maloney (18th season)

Statistical Leaders 

Batting Average: Michael Hallquist (.343)

RBI: Hallquist (27)

Home Runs: Hallquist (8)

ERA: Lucas Letsinger (3.86)

Strikeouts: Merritt Beeker (46) 

BASEBALL…Weekend Preview…KEEGAN_Kinney_Abbie_6.jpg
Ohio right hand pitcher, Tim Knapschaefer (31), steps to pitch the ball during a game against Central Michigan at Bob Wren Stadium, March 23, 2024, in Athens.

History:

Ohio first matched up with Ball State in 2005. Since then, the series has been relatively even, with Ohio winning 22 games to Ball State’s 27 total wins. Over the last 10 matchups, the two teams share a perfect split of 5 games apiece. 

Most recently it was the Cardinals who came to Athens last season and took the series 2-1 from the Bobcats. The series was particularly close, with none of the three games being decided by more than 2 runs. 

Ball State Notes 

Ball State has struggled to start its conference schedule, having yet to win a series. The Cardinals come into their series with the Bobcats looking at a 2-7 record. 

Despite some early struggles, Ball State features a potential MAC Player of the Year candidate in Mike Hallquist, who currently leads the conference in home runs and is among the leaders in several other key statistical categories. 

The matchup between Ohio and Ball State brings two of the MAC’s best players for the 2024 season onto the same field with Ohio’s Gideon Antle and Hallquist for Ball State. 

Player to Watch: Ohio’s rotation 

Ohio has struggled off the mound to start the season, to say the least. The team is currently looking at a combined ERA of over seven. The Bobcats have tried a plethora of different options to start games and it seems that who will pitch on any day in a weekend series is a mystery to all until the game begins. Whoever Ohio decides to throw out on the mound in the series against Ball State will be looking to provide some stability and maybe an answer to Ohio’s early season pitching woes. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu