Ohio baseball player Gideon Antle (18) waits to bat the ball during a game against Youngstown State at Bob Wren Stadium, March 5, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: What to know for Ohio’s series against Central Michigan

Ohio (7-11 overall, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) returns home on Saturday for an in-conference series matchup against Central Michigan (4-17 overall, 1-5 MAC). 

The Bobcats are looking to gain momentum after a disappointing loss on the road to Northern Kentucky on Tuesday. Ohio gave up 18 runs in the previous contest and is looking to have a better performance on the mound against a struggling Central Michigan team. 

Here is everything to know about the Chippewas.

Game Information:

Opponent: Central Michigan

Location: Bob Wren Stadium (Athens, Ohio)

Time: Saturday at noon, Saturday at 4 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. 

How to watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent:

Head Coach: Jake Sabol (First season)

Statistical Leaders:

Batting Average: Jake Donahue (.347)

Hits: Donahue (26)

RBI: Ely Stewart (14)

Home Runs: Robby Morgan IV (2)

ERA: Evan Waters (4.86)

Strikeouts: Adam Mrakitsch (37)

History

Ohio has historically struggled against Central Michigan, trailing in the all-time battle 11-31. The Bobcats fell to the Chippewas the last time they faced off, losing 6-10 in Athens. 

While the Chippewas have historically had the Bobcats’ number, they had a rough start this season under first-year head coach, Jake Sabol. Ohio will have a big opportunity to take down an in-conference opponent over the weekend. 

Central Michigan Notes

Just a year ago, Central Michigan was a game away from the MAC tournament championship, following a regular season that earned it the second seed in the tournament. 

Central Michigan has won just four games through its first 21 this year. The Chippewas have not won a series yet in MAC play. The last time they were victorious was in a series that came in their opening series against Stephen F. Austin. 

Central Michigan is coming off a win against Oakland in its last game, giving it momentum heading into Athens.

Player to Watch: Alex Finney

The fifth-year infielder has recently been on a hot streak, carrying a three-game hit streak into this weekend’s series. 

In Ohio’s last game against Northern Kentucky, Finney had himself a day. He finished the day with two hits, a double and a solo home run. The other two times he stepped up the plate he worked a walk, getting on base each time he was in the batter's box. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu