Gabe Wiznitzer (11) at the Ohio University vs Bowling Green State University Men's Basketball Game at The Convo, March 1, 2024.

Men's Basketball: Ohio can lock up top 3 seed in MAC tournament with win over Buffalo

It was not long ago the third seed in the Mid-American Conference tournament seemed to be an afterthought for Ohio, which trailed Central Michigan by two games. Now, Ohio is one win over Buffalo (4-25, 2-14 MAC) on Tuesday from solidifying its place as a top No. 3 seed in the Conference tournament. 

The key to Ohio's big jump over Central Michigan has been its recent four-game winning streak combined with Central Michigan's current three-game losing streak. The difference in the two teams' latest level of play has led the Bobcats to take a one-game lead over the Chippewas with two games to play. With the tiebreaker already in hand, the Bobcats are now just one win away from clinching the No. 3 spot in the MAC tournament.

Ohio has a golden opportunity to do so Tuesday against last-place Buffalo. Here is everything you need to know:

Game Information:

Opponent: Buffalo

Date and time: Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Location: Alumni Arena (Amherst, New York)

How to watch: CBSSN

Statistical Leaders:

Points: Sy Chatman (10.7 per game)

Rebounds: Jonnivius Smith (5.5 per game)

Assists: Shawn Fulcher (3 per game)

Steals: Fulcher (1.3 per game)

Blocks: Chatman (1.5 per game)

Field-Goal Percentage: Zaakir Williamson (66.7)

3-Point Percentage: Ryan Sabol (36.0)

Free-Throw Percentage: Sabol (78.8)

First Matchup:

Ohio was firmly in control of the first matchup played between the two teams in The Convo. Ohio defeated Buffalo 91-70, a game in which Ohio led by as many as 27 late in the second half. AJ Clayton led a balanced offensive attack with 16 points.

Keys to the game:

Avoiding turnovers and coming up with defensive rebounds will be important for Ohio against the MAC's worst defense by points per game allowed. Buffalo has done well on the offensive glass in the 2023-24 season, so if Ohio can keep its opponent off the glass and win the turnover battle, there is no reason it cannot beat last-place Buffalo.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu