Jaya McClure (0) drives towards the basket to help the Bobcats take the lead against the Kent State Eagles, Feb. 21, 2024, at The Convo in Athens. McClure ended the night with 26 points overall. The final score was 79-77.

Women’s Basketball: What to know for Ohio’s last home game against Central Michigan

Ohio (9-17 overall, 6-9 Mid-American Conference) defends home court for the final time this season on Saturday against Central Michigan (6-19 overall, 4-11 Mid-American Conference). 

Here’s everything to know about the Bobcats’ pivotal MAC matchup against the Chippewas. 

Game Information

Opponent: Central Michigan Chippewas

Location: The Convo (Athens)

Time: 1 p.m. on Saturday

Where to Watch: ESPN+

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Kristin Haynie (first season)

Projected Starters

#01 Lisa Tesson

#02 Tamara Ortiz

#04 Capria Brown

#22 Nadege Jean

#31 Rochelle Norris

Statistical Leaders

Points: Ortiz (10.7 per game)

Rebounds: Norris (8.1per game)

Assists: Tesson (2.9 per game)

Steals:  Taylor Anderson (1.9 per game)

Blocks: Norris (1.6 per game)

Field-goal Percentage:  Norris (49.0)

3-point Percentage: Ortiz (35.3)

Free-throw Percentage: Karrington Gordon (76.5)

Central Michigan Notes

The Chippewas have had a somewhat disappointing season under first-year year Head Coach Kristin Haynie, but they just recently broke a five-game losing streak when Miami came to town for a Wednesday night game. 

That game was important for both Central Michigan and Ohio, the latter of whom was finishing up a big-time win against Western Michigan when the Central Michigan and Miami game went into overtime on Wednesday.

The win was obviously important for Central Michigan, giving the squad a needed win after a five-game skid, but for Ohio, the win allowed it to leapfrog Miami in the standings for the final MAC tournament spot.  

Player to Watch: Tamara Ortiz

Ortiz has played just nine games so far this season, missing most of the season due to an injury. Since she has returned to the Chippewas' lineup, however, she has produced in bunches. Take Wednesday night’s overtime win over Miami for example, where Ortiz dropped 21 points on 8-17 shooting from the field. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu