Police Blotter: Scavenger hunt, vehicle on fire

Get a job

Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a walk-in report of a scam from someone pretending to be the police.

The impersonator told the complainant that someone was claiming to be the police and needed to give them money or he would be arrested.

Maybe it was fireworks

The sound of gunshots on Truetown Road was reported to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies patrolled the area and did not come into contact with anyone with a firearm.

Just be yourself

Ohio University Police Department reported an intoxicated person at Tiffin Hall.

The student was charged with underage consumption and possession of a fake ID card.

Suspicious scavengers

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report of suspicious activity at the intersection of McDougal Road and Mill Creek Road.

Deputies determined there was no criminal activity after speaking with people who were partaking in a scavenger hunt.

How thoughtful

Athen’s County Deputies observed a suspicious vehicle on Clover Lane while on patrol.

The vehicle was unoccupied and had a note that said the vehicle had broken down.

Deputies resumed patrol.

Ghost caller

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call on state Route 682.

Upon arrival, deputies spoke to the property owner but were unable to locate anyone who had called.

Booze cruise

The Ohio State Highway Patrol requested assistance from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office for an OVI crash in York Township.

Deputies responded to an intoxicated driver and a vehicle on fire.

No further action was taken by deputies. 

Everyone makes mistakes

The Ohio University Police Department received a report of an assault at Bromley Hall.

The report was unfounded.

Let them cook

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report of loud music and trespassing in Athens Township.

Deputies patrolled the area but did not observe any trespassers or excessive noise.

I’m just a baby

Athens County Deputies investigated a report of a 911 hang-up call on Oakdale Road.

Deputies found no emergency and the call was a result of children playing with a deactivated phone.

Sometimes it be your own blood

A man reported an unauthorized use of a motor vehicle to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office.

The man said his daughter used the vehicle days prior and had not returned with it. As of Thursday, the investigation is still under review.

Pound the alarm

The Hocking College Police Department requested the Athens County Sheriff’s Office to patrol Lake Snowden due to an activated alarm.

Deputies patrolled the area and found all buildings to be locked. No further action was needed.

Get a lawyer

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a verbal dispute on First Street.

The parties were disputing over personal property and were advised to separate by deputies. 

After the parties agreed to separate, officers returned to patrol. 

Did you hear that?

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a resident in The Plains hearing noises.

Deputies checked the crawl space of the home but did not find anything.

Accidents happen

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a commercial burglary alarm in Albany.

Deputies found the activation to be accidental after they spoke to someone with a key. No further action was required.

Hey, I’m walking here (insert Italian accent)

Athens County Deputies responded to a report of a suspicious person.

Units identified the male matching the description given by the caller, who said he was walking to a family member's home in the area.

No further action was needed. 

Butt-dial

Athens County Deputies investigated a 911 hang-up call on Radford Road.

The caller was contacted, and deputies discovered the call to be a misdial. Deputies resumed patrol.

Are you for real?

A threatening incident was reported to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office on state Route 144.

Deputies attempted contact with the caller, but the caller had left their residence before they arrived.

Deputies resumed patrol.

Relatable

Athens County Deputies responded to a mental health complaint on Main Street in Coolville.

Deputies determined the individual needed to see a mental health professional and transported them to the hospital for evaluation.

Licenses aren’t for everyone

A wrong-way driver on U.S. 50 was reported to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies patrolled the area and could not locate the driver.

@_suziepiper

sp249021@ohio.edu