The Ohio University softball team celebrates at the game against Toledo at Ohio Softball Field on April 25, 2023, in Athens, Ohio.

Softball: Ohio goes winless against Miami, falls to 1-5 in conference

Ohio (13-17, 1-5 Mid-American Conference) came into the weekend facing off against their bitter rival, Miami (22-6, 6-0 MAC). The series against the RedHawks has more history than usual as they were the team that eliminated the Bobcats in last season’s MAC tournament and the only team to outrank them in the MAC Preseason Coaches Poll.

Despite the preseason outlooks on both teams, Ohio and Miami have had different seasons. After a promising start in the FAU Paradise Classic, followed by a 10-1 stretch, the Bobcats seemingly could not get anything offensively, making little of the excellent performances from the pitching group.

On the other hand, Miami has looked like a team projected to finish first in the MAC, scoring eight or more runs in all but one of its first six conference games.

It was a turbulent series that will give Ohio some perspective as the team moves forward, hoping to regain its high level of play.

Game One

The first game of a Friday doubleheader was a sign of things to come as Ohio fell 4-10.

After Ohio got out to a 4-1 lead in the top of the third, Miami never looked back. It only took the bottom of the third for the RedHawks to take back the lead, scoring four runs in the inning. From then on out Skipp Miller could not stop Miami at bat.

Ohio went scoreless the rest of the game while allowing five more runs for Miami in the last four innings, including three in the bottom of the fifth off back-to-back homers from Reagan Bartholomew and Hadley Parisien.

Game Two

While Ohio’s offense struggled in the first game, it managed to regain some momentum in the second game. The Bobcats scored their second-highest run total of the season, still falling to the RedHawks with a final score of 13-16.

Giving Miller a rest it was Ellie Greene taking the pitching mound for Ohio. The Bobcats' offense started strong, scoring three runs from Tori O’Brien, Yasmine Logan and Emma Hoffner. However, when the diamond switched sides, there was seemingly no stopping Miami. 

The RedHawks rattled off 10 runs in the bottom of the first, seemingly having two or more players on base at all times. Ohio narrowly avoided the run-ahead rule, entering the fifth down eight – the minimum needed to end the game early – but entered the top of the sixth down 12-16. Ohio scored one more run before the game’s end but fell to 0-2 on the weekend.

Game Three

The final game of the series was not nearly as action-packed as the second but still saw Ohio finishing in the loss column with a final score of 2-5.

Miller was back up to pitch for Ohio and had an improved showing from her game-one appearance, but the offense would be unable to carry its weight en route to a season sweep. Ohio never held a lead, scoring its only two runs in the final inning falling to 1-5 in conference play.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu