Predicting future of superhero content in 2025

There have been many times recently when society has seemed to be burnt out by the influx of superhero-related movies and television shows that come out each year. According to the Statista Research Department, “around 23% of respondents said they liked superhero movies but were getting tired of so many films of that genre.”

Many factors play into why moviegoers feel the genre has lost its steam. One of which is the lack of artistic integrity and creativity in superhero media. Many fans and celebrities believe a lot of current superhero content is a copy of previous projects, in terms of storytelling and characters. Nothing feels distinctly different from each other.

With this, audiences are tired of repeatedly seeing the same movie or television show. However, that is not to say there isn’t hope for the superhero genre. Next year, a robust lineup of new movies and television shows could give life to the superhero genre. For many fans, 2025 has the potential to be the best year for superhero movies and television. 

Marvel Studios’ 2025 catalog includes four movies: Matt Shakman’s “Fantastic Four,” Julius Onah’s “Captain America: Brave New World,” Jake Schreier’s “Thunderbolts” and Yann Demange’s “Blade.” One television series, “Daredevil: Born Again” run by Dario Scardapane, is also set to premiere next year.

Also rumored to be released in 2025 by Marvel Studios are two additional miniseries: “Ironheart” and “Wonder Man.”

For DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Discovery plans to release James Gunn’s “Superman.” Matt Reeves’ highly anticipated “The Batman Part II” was initially scheduled for an Oct. 3, 2025 release, but a delay pushed its release back one year to Oct. 2, 2026.

Other projects rumored to come from DC Entertainment in 2025 are “Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 2,”  “Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part 3” and the second season of James Gunn’s “Peacemaker” show starring John Cena.

However, several movies and television shows outside of Marvel and DC are either confirmed or rumored to be released in 2025. Some projects eyeing a 2025 release include the third season of Amazon Prime Video’s “Invincible” and Sony Entertainment’s “Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse.”

A lot of superhero content is coming out next year, and many more projects could be released in 2025 that haven’t been officially announced yet. If all the movies and television shows mentioned aren’t delayed, how would 2025 compare to other famously good years for superhero entertainment? Does it also have a chance to be the best year for superhero media?

It depends on fan reception and the quality of the movies and television shows. One instance of potential for 2025 to be a quality year for superhero entertainment is the directors and showrunners helming these projects.

James Gunn has proven to be one of the best filmmakers to adapt, write and direct a superhero story. His “Guardians of the Galaxy” trilogy received financial and critical success. “The Suicide Squad” (2021), written and directed by him, was considered a breath of fresh air compared to prior DC releases by many fans.

Marvel Studios also allows unknown filmmakers, such as Shakman and Demange, to direct its big-budget movies, like “Fantastic Four” and “Blade” respectively. The decision could give fans hope that Marvel is shifting to more diverse minds, instead of operating like a factory and giving viewers mediocre or terrible movies and shows.

DC Entertainment is following the same path. Gunn is giving as much time as Matt Reeves needs to make “The Batman Part II,” even if it takes a couple of years. For some, it seemed like Marvel Studios and DC Entertainment only cared about receiving money and not caring about making films with something to say.

Some might say that Marvel Studios and DC Entertainment are only doing this to get the attention of fans back to receive more money in the process. Even if that is true, at least they are doing it now, and hopefully they will continue this trend. 

2025 is a big year for superhero entertainment. The question of whether or not all of the releases will meet or exceed viewers’ expectations will have to wait until audiences watch all of them next year.

@judethedudehannahs 

jh825821@ohio.edu