Members of Ohio University's Student Senate, sit around a table during their meeting, Sept. 13, 2023.

Current, former Student Senators throw accusations at meeting

During Student Senate’s meeting Wednesday, four Student Senate members and a former member spoke out against Student Senate as an organization. 

The first student to speak out was Vice President Isaac Davis, confronting President Megan Handle, Treasurer Regan Farmer and Governmental Affairs Commissioner Dan Gordillo. Davis said he has been urging Handle, Farmer and Gordillo to step down from their positions. The Post received a message from Davis March 28 echoing his call for them to step down and for Farmer to withdraw herself from contention for Student Senate president. 

Davis wrote in the message Farmer and Handle misrepresented votes from Senate members whom they used as proxies, though The Post has not independently verified his claims. Elections for Student Senate president were held Tuesday and results have not been announced yet. 

The candidates for Student Senate president were Davis, Farmer and Black Student Affairs Senator Kiandra Martin.

The next student to speak during student speak-out was the Senate’s PR director, Kylie Christa. During her time, Christa addressed Davis urging him to step down from his position.

“While you are trying to convince everyone that everyone is such a bad person simply because you have failed to do your job that doesn't mean they should resign,” Christa said. “I personally know that people have resigned because you don't do your job.”

Christa also accused Davis of potentially running an anonymous Instagram account called studentsenatespeaks, which she said has not been proven to be run by Davis or anyone linked to him but posts things about Student Senate that she alleges would only be said by Davis or his running mates. Christa said she thinks Davis is a good person but does not do his job.

Martin spoke during the speak-outs as well and addressed several people in the room, but began by addressing Christa directly, saying she had seen messages sent by Christa following the election about Martin’s lack of leadership experience making her unqualified for the position of Senate president. 

“I've seen the things that you said about me in group chats over the weekend, and I just want to let you know that’s distasteful, that's disgusting and I have never ever said anything about any other campaign except for good things,” Martin said.

After confronting Christa, she called on other Senate members to think for themselves and speak out if they know the truth about members of Senate. 

“For the rest of you that might be involved in anything else that's nothing but the truth, I just wish and I pray that you would come out and stop acting like cowards,” Martin said. “Have a conscious mind and think for yourselves … don't let anyone else determine what you have to think.”

Martin then addressed Josh Gruenke, associate director for campus involvement, who she accused of telling multicultural organizations on campus to not donate to Martin’s presidential campaign. 

“I lost out on a lot of money because people told me that you told them that you would look down on donating to my campaign, because the Senate can look at that for next year,” Martin said to Gruenke. 

Before exiting the room, Martin said she is happy to talk to anyone and encouraged everyone to reach out to her via text or email to talk more.

“This is nasty, this is so freaking nasty, and I'm acting this way because I'm passionate about Student Senate,” Martin said. “This is this toxic, can't you see I'm losing my mind? Can't you see that I've been taken here? I come here every week with a smiling face and nothing but respect for everybody in this room. I’m angry and I’m yelling. If anyone wants to text me, absolutely. I’m out.”

Next to speak was Minority Affairs Commissioner, Ayshni Tandon, who ran for Student Senate vice president on Davis’ ticket. She said she wanted to wait to say these remarks until after the election ended so her motivations would not be misconstrued.

Tandon chose to address students within Senate and in general who she said have used YikYak and Instagram to post “sexist, homophobic, racist and extremely gross things” about her. Tandon also said she has seen other members of Senate targeted including Davis.

She specifically called out Luke Vannus, Senate Appropriation Committee commissioner, who she claimed said he has posted on YikYak, and plans to continue.

The last student to speak out was a former Senate member, Trinity Robinson, a junior studying finance analytics. 

Robinson said the Senate is an embarrassment, causing more problems and getting less done than last year, when she said she was the target of internet harassment during elections. She said she comes to meetings for entertainment and that Student Senate is not a professional organization, but instead a social club. Robinson said there’s only a handful of people in Senate doing their job.

“I'm not surprised this didn't turn into a caddy clique,” Robinson said. “Either turn it around or honestly disband the entire organization. You’re funding something that is embarrassing, embarrassing.”

After student speak-outs, the Senate proceeded to its meeting as usual, and during Executive Justice Grace Jarchow’s report she gave the Senate some advice on working with others.

“Although it may seem irrelevant because the election is over, it's not, you all need to learn how to work with one another, respect one another and make an inclusive and comfortable and maybe even friendly work environment,” Jarchow said.

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu