Blabby Abby: Keep the energy for women going pro

In March 2021, a viral TikTok surfaced during the NCAA March Madness tournament showing the vast difference between the men’s and women’s weight rooms and exercise equipment. The men’s teams had access to a full weight room while the women had a small table with a stack of yoga mats and a small set of dumbbells, which maxed out at 30 pounds.

This year, the women’s March Madness championship surpassed the men’s in views by about 4 million. 

Although those things seem unrelated, the leaps and bounds female athletes, most notably Caitlin Clark, have made recently is the breakthrough women’s sports have been waiting so patiently for. From not having access to proper training equipment to now surpassing the men’s tournament in popularity is an unforgettable experience. It has been a privilege to watch the talents of Clark and several other female athletes shine on TV and in Cleveland for the Final Four game.

I remember seeing the post about the differences in weight rooms during March Madness in 2021 and feeling rage and devastation. I remember hearing arguments about women’s sports not bringing in enough income, so it was the weight room they deserved. As a woman who has played sports her entire life, I felt sick. 

But now we face a bigger problem as some of these athletes, like Angel Reese, exit the college scene and head into the WNBA. Comedian Bill Burr pointed out in a rather infuriating series of jokes how women have failed the WNBA. 

“We (men) gave you a f-----g league, none of you showed up,” he said. “Where are all the feminists? That place should be packed with feminists … None of you went to the f------g games, you failed them, not me.”

His words are cruel and evoke a lot of anger, but the unfortunate truth is he happens to be right. Women’s professional sports tend to be cast aside. Now, we have an opportunity to change things. The momentum from the past couple of years of women’s college basketball needs to continue throughout these athletes’ careers, college and professional. 

Women’s sports have been criticized, much like in Burr’s bit, about the lack of entertainment and revenue their league brings. This year has changed the game, and according to CNBC, women’s sports will bring in over $1 billion in revenue, which is a 300% increase from 2021. Despite this number, women’s teams from the Final Four will only make 27% of what the men’s Final Four teams will, according to Business Insider. 

In that same realm, a previous column from The Post discussed a college volleyball game in Nebraska in August 2023, which broke records as the most-attended women’s sporting event ever. The first-ever Women’s Pro Hockey League began its first season in January 2023. The Women’s FIFA World Cup broke several records in July and August. The momentum and energy need to continue going forward. 

As we can see, it’s already working. The WNBA just had its most-attended game and most-watched season in 21 years. With the WNBA draft underway, we need to keep up the anticipation and excitement for these athletes and give them the viewership and respect they deserve. 

As an ex-female athlete with a passion for bringing attention to these momentous leaps and bounds, keep cheering, keep watching and keep talking about the talents of Clark and Reese and so many others who are dominating women’s sports right now. 

We are not failing women. Show up and prove Burr wrong. 

Abby Jenkins is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Abby know by tweeting her @abbyjenks18 or emailing her at aj205621@ohio.edu