Farewell, Athens: It’s time to say goodbye

Two things play as I write this column: the roaring of my AC and a fiddle in the deepest core of my mind. It's time to come to peace with leaving the place I love. One of Ohio University's main campaign points is "Forever Ohio," and while it's almost time for me to leave this heaven I've called home for the past three years, it’s clear the “Forever” part comes from how this place will always stick with me. 

My first Athens experience was coming here for hockey tournaments, usually supporting my younger brothers. Back then, there was still a Wendy's and a Lotsa Pizza on Court Street. After leaving Athens even then, I'd always longed to return, so I did. At 18, I went to the High School Media Workshop where I stayed on South Green and met the professors I’d take classes with down the road; South Green is also the neighborhood I lived in all three years here. The experiences I had in my youth and teenage years are why I knew I wanted to be a Bobcat.

I'll never forget the moment I got my acceptance letter in the spring of 2021 to go to OU as a transfer student the following fall, running to the basement to tell my dad. It was a special moment for me—I've wanted to come here all my life—and my first semester here was something out of a fairytale. 

Joining The Post and getting to cover music and write a weekly music story became my little schtick, and it stuck with me. I got to write about everything from Spotify Wrapped to album reviews to cannabis to election coverage. One that stood out was a column on Appalachia and her significance to the world. More than 90 articles later, I can say it was all worth the tears, the inner frustrations, the happy and the sad. 

I'm forever thankful to The Post. It brought me friends and memories that I'll take to the professional world, wherever that may be. Being a media student had its perks, too. Going to Fur Peace Ranch last semester was one of the most exciting parts of my time here, which still, to this day, has had a lasting impact on how I perceive local music and live music in this area. The professors who made me think critically about the media texts I use daily and who have been here to support me and push me to do my best work, you all know who you are — thank you.

Three years have passed, and now I must leave it all behind. The study sessions at Alden, the wisp of the trees, the stories, the music, the folklore I've heard, the late-night bar runs with my friends, the culture and the region I've come to love so much. The biggest and most fantastic thing about OU, which will stick with me the most, is the profound sense of belonging you foster throughout your experience here. 

There wasn't a time when I'd be walking somewhere and not see at least one person who would wave or smile at me and make my day a thousand times better. You can travel 45 minutes in any direction and be greeted with mountains, a state park, a new state and a history you only understand once you live here. Above all else, though, anywhere you go will lead you to amazing people. I've had the blessing of meeting so many people in Athens who have taken the shirt off their backs to help me succeed. It's a sense of family you hear about only from a close relative, but these bleed deep; this family is composed of folks who are friends, neighbors and simple humans who want to do the right thing. 

My time in Athens may be winding down as a student, and I don't know when I'll see her next, but she'll always be in my heart, mind and soul forever and always. Once a Bobcat, always a Bobcat, today and forever.

William Troyer is a senior studying media social change at Ohio University.  Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell William by emailing him at wt005221@ohio.edu.