Campbell’s Corner: Just around the corner

I’ve always been someone who likes to keep busy and is always looking for the next thing. College was the perfect place for my on-the-go energy. As it finally comes to an end, I stand still as the pain of leaving sets in. 

In high school, I didn’t have many sentimental attachments. I was bummed about missing some friends and not having a graduation, but I was grateful that I was moving on from my hometown. I wanted to go out and explore new surroundings and people. 

I began my time at The Post during the first few weeks of my freshman year. I knew I wanted to strengthen my writing skills, but I underestimated how the organization would affect my entire life. I never knew I would create so many memories at a student newspaper.

My best friend group, known as the “cookies,” was formed at The Post. We all grew up with different backgrounds and opinions, but we all loved what we were doing, and we all supported each other in every venture. The cookies could only relate to each other for many things, clustered together like chocolate chips. 

College was a transformative experience for me. I met friends and relationships here that are like no other. I found girlfriends who are like sisters to me and experienced so many once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that will stay ingrained in my memory for years to come. 

However, there are times I hope what I learned in college makes me a better person in the future. 

I, like many others, truly have the fear of missing out. Over the years, I realized I never gave myself a break when I needed it. I’m so happy I went out with my friends and participated in extracurriculars, but there are times I wished I would’ve stood still. There are times I wish I would’ve taken a second to appreciate what was around me, rather than peaking to see what was around the corner. 

Nevertheless, I appreciate everything Ohio University has given me. OU has given me a family, and despite the distance, I know I can go to anyone for help at any time. The Post gave me the confidence to go into investigative news, something that scared me for years. The Post also gave me the “What Happens on Court, Stays on Court” podcast, which led to Tate Raub and I having so many iconic interviews with our campus celebrities. The Post later led me to Thread Magazine, which prepared me to lead a staff and trust my decisions. 

Most of my friends will be onto big-kid jobs and fellowships, but I will still be on my educational journey. As I leave to get my master’s degree at New York University, I hope my friends know I will always be the fun blonde girl with the pink desk in the newsroom. If they need anything, I will be just around the corner. 

Hannah Campbell is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Hannah by tweeting her at @hannahcmpbell.