Communication and Culture: World Central Kitchen workers' deaths a war crime

Seven humanitarian aid workers were killed in Gaza by an Israeli strike last week. The World Central Kitchen, or WCK, team was traveling in a de-conflicted zone in armored vehicles branded with WCK’s logo. Despite the team coordinating its movements with Israel Defense Forces, the vehicles were attacked while leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse where it had unloaded more than 100 tons of food brought to Gaza on the maritime route, according to a WCK statement

An investigation from Al Jazeera said the attack on the WCK convoy was carried out intentionally. Direct attacks against humanitarian aid are a war crime outlined by the United Nations. Even if WCK had not been operating in coordination with the IDF, the aid workers are protected by international law. 

WCK is a nonprofit founded by celebrity chef José Andrés and his wife Patricia in 2010. The U.S.-based organization is guided by the belief that food is a universal human right. They provide meals in the wake of humanitarian, climate and community crises. WCK has been collaborating with other humanitarian organizations on the ground in Gaza since October and served more than 42 million meals, but it is not enough. A March 29 statement from José Andrés and WCK CEO Erin Gore described the need in Gaza “the most dire we’ve ever seen or experienced in our 15 year history.”

“This is not only an attack against WCK, this is an attack on humanitarian organizations showing up in the most dire of situations where food is being used as a weapon of war,“ said Erin Gore. "This is unforgivable."

This is not the first attack on humanitarian aid workers in Gaza. Since Oct. 7, 203 aid workers have been killed in Gaza, according to the Aid Worker Security Database. A majority of the other incidents involved Palestinian aid workers. 

With no end to the Israel-Gaza war in sight, Palestinians have relied on humanitarian aid to stave off death from malnutrition and dehydration. Following the attack, several aid organizations – including WCK – have suspended operations in Gaza, citing danger to staff. The effects of this pause will be devastating to Gaza, where experts say famine is imminent. Aid deliveries have been severely limited by Israeli border restrictions and ongoing fighting. Humanitarian aid routes have slowly been established but plans to continue are now up in the air.

The family of victim Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom said in a statement she was “a kind, selfless and outstanding human being that has traveled the world helping others in their time of need.” 

Shadi Abu Taha recalled the moment his brother, Saif, and the WCK team departed on Monday to unload desperately needed food aid, saying they “were so excited, like they were going to a wedding.”

This is a devastating loss of life for the family, friends and coworkers of the victims, and it is clear that aid workers at WCK and other organizations are not safe despite protections under international law.

Kaitlyn Markert is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk about the column? Email Kaitlyn at km844320@ohio.edu.