Ohio utility player, Alex Finney (15), catches the ball as a Western Michigan player slides into the base during a game against Western Michigan at Bob Wren Stadium, April 5, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: Ohio looks to snap 8-game losing streak this weekend

Ohio (8-20 overall, 4-11 Mid-American Conference) travels to Ypsilanti, Michigan, to face Eastern Michigan (12-19 overall, 7-5 MAC) in a three-game series. Ohio has struggled in the past weeks, losing eight straight and only winning one of its last 12 games. Ohio looks to turn things around this weekend in a tough series against a formidable Eastern Michigan team.

Game Information

Opponent: Eastern Michigan

Location: Oestrike Stadium (Ypsilanti, Michigan)

Time: Saturday at noon, Saturday at 3:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Robbie Britt (first season)

Statistical Leaders

Batting Average: Blake McRae (.364)

RBI: Cory Taylor (31)

Home Runs: Taylor, Kyle Schroedle (7)

ERA: Nick Chittum (5.40)

Strikeouts: Bobby Jones (45)

History

Ohio is leading in the all-time series between the two teams, winning 28 and losing 22. In those 28 matchups, Ohio has scored, on average, 11 runs a game. Ohio has been even more favorable in the last 10 matchups, winning nine of the last 10.

However, on the road against Eastern Michigan, the series is tied at 11 wins each. Ohio could take the lead in the road record this weekend with a good performance. 

Eastern Michigan Notes

Eastern Michigan is coming off a rough couple of games, losing five of its last seven. In those games, the team gave up an average of 13 runs. In the MAC, though, they sit in the middle of the conference at No. 5, five spots above Ohio, which sits at No. 10 in the conference.

Four of its players are hitting above .300, all of which have over 20 RBIs. If Ohio wants to have a good performance this weekend, it must take advantage of Eastern Michigan’s pitching staff and silence its excellent offense.

Player to Watch: Dillon Masters

Masters started the season coming out of the bullpen, not starting his first game until March 8 against Northern Illinois. Since his first start on the mound, he has been the most reliable starter for the Bobcats, posting a 4.17 ERA as a starter, lower than his overall ERA of 4.79. On top of having the best ERA on the team, he also boasts the best opponent batting average with a .288. Masters is sure to take the mound this weekend and looks to continue his stretch of good starts.

ls705922@ohio.edu