Tyler Walton (4) WR position on Ohio University's Football team celebrate after the touchdown at Peden Stadium in Athens Ohio, Octo. 28, 2023

Football: Ohio’s spring game represents sneak peek of 2024 season

The first taste of Ohio University football’s 2024 season is quickly approaching in the form of its spring game. The spring game will mark a new chapter of the Tim Albin era. 

Ohio lost many of its signature pieces from a two-year run that saw the team win a combined 20 games between 2022-23. In that time, Ohio was led primarily by Kurtis Rourke, Bryce Houston, Keye Thompson, Sam Wiglusz and Sieh Bangura. Ohio lost all five of these key contributors to either the transfer portal or graduation. 

The departure of Ohio’s star talent opens the door for others to fill their shoes. Players like CJ Harris, Parker Navarro, Rickey Hunt and Shay Taylor will attempt to do so Saturday in the long-awaited spring game.

Here’s everything you need to know about the 2024 Spring game:

Game information:

Location: Frank Solich Field at Peden Stadium (Athens, OH)

Date: Saturday, April 20

Time: 11 a.m.

What to watch for: 

Quarterback Battle

Ohio’s quarterback battle will most likely be the talk of Ohio’s offseason. Both Navarro and Harris are talented options looking to take over for Rourke as the team’s starting quarterback. Navarro and Harris will get their first chance to prove themselves in front of a wider audience than those attending practice.

Rickey Hunt

Ohio merely got a taste of what Hunt was capable of during the 2023 season, when the talented freshman running back burst onto the scene during Ohio’s 41-21 Myrtle Beach bowl win over Georgia Southern. Hunt made several highlight plays on his way to a five-touchdown performance. Hunt will attempt to recreate the magic of his bowl game performance over the course of a 12-game season starting with Ohio’s spring game.

Wide Receiver

At least for the Spring game, Ohio will be very young at receiver. Having lost Wiglusz and Miles Cross to graduation and the transfer portal, Ohio’s catchers are unproven. Rodney Harris and Chase Hendricks are both young options who had catches in Ohio’s bowl game. Ohio has also lost tight ends Tyler Foster and Will Kacmerak, to graduation and the transfer portal respectively, as the team turns to younger options. Bryce Butler and Mason Williams both had touchdown receptions for the team in 2023.

Linebacker

Ohio’s entire defense is relatively unknown following the departure of former defensive coordinator Spence Nowinsky to Memphis. The linebacker position will be of heightened focus following Houston and Thompson’s departures. Taylor had a strong bowl performance against Georgia Southern with a sack and six total tackles.

Defensive End

Vonnie Watkins was a staple of Ohio’s defense in the past two seasons with a combined 9.5 sacks since 2022. Bradley Weaver had an outstanding performance in the Myrtle Beach Bowl with two sacks. Weaver ended the season with 13 tackles for loss and six sacks. Weaver will look to improve his production in a larger role in 2024.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu