Members of the Ohio softball team gather on the field to celebrate as they get another run during a game against Western Michigan at Ohio Softball Field, April 21, 2024, in Athens.

Softball: Ohio loses contested match to Pitt in nonconference finale

While Ohio (23-22, 11-8 Mid-American Conference) has seen itself on the right side of a handful of comebacks this season, the team’s final nonconference matchup against Pitt (16-29, 6-15 Atlantic Coast Conference) would see Ohio on the other end, falling 5-4.

The beginning of the Bobcats’ final nonconference matchup looked like it would have a different outcome. Lauren Yuhas’ lead-off home run was a sign of things to come for most of the game. 

While Ohio didn’t score the rest of the first inning, the defense, led by Skipp Miller, who pitched her 19th complete game in 30 appearances, held strong and kept the lead safe.

The top of the second would be productive for Ohio’s offense as it tacked on 2 more runs off a double to left field by Yasmine Logan, allowing Tori O’Brien and CiCi Keidel to score. The two RBI doubles would force Pitt to make its first pitching change of the night, swapping Danni Farris for Kendall Brown.

Logan’s contributions have been a driving factor for Ohio’s recent success, with back-to-back home runs in the latter two games against Western Michigan last weekend. Over these last three games, she has accumulated four hits, 4 runs, seven RBIs and two home runs.

Pitt would get its first runner on base in the bottom of the second, but it was fruitless as the Ohio defense tallied three quick outs.

The third inning would be the first shutout inning for both sides, as Izzie Wilson making it to second base off a walk and a fielder’s choice would be the only baserunning Ohio would achieve. The Panthers’ third inning would almost entirely mirror their second, only getting a single runner on first amid three outs.

The fourth and fifth innings were equally unproductive, with Ohio maintaining its 3-0 lead heading into the top of the sixth. After a single out to start the sixth, Austy Miller would double to left field, then shuffle to third after Brenna Farmer was grounded out to first.

O’Brien would then step up to the plate, and single down the left field line, allowing Miller to score and giving Ohio its largest lead and final run of the game.

The game would begin to shift after a double-play that sent the game into the bottom of the sixth. While Pitt’s first batter of the inning would be lined out at second, Kylie Griggs would single, starting a hitting spree for the home team.

Griggs would be followed by Kat Rodriguez, who doubled to right center field, giving Griggs the perfect opportunity to run three bases and score, giving the Panthers their first run of the game. The onslaught would continue as Rodriguez advanced to third on a pop-up out and scored off an Amanda Ramirez single.

Ohio would stop the scoring for the time as it generated the final out, but it was unable to score in the top of the seventh following a second pitching change from Pitt. 

Up 4-2 in the bottom of the seventh, Ohio had a comfortable lead, but not a safe one. Pitt would quickly rattle off 3 runs, one after another, ending the game as Rodriguez fouled out and allowing Macy Hamilton to score the fifth and final run for Pitt.

@LoganA_NBA

la486821@ohio.edu