Masses of students gather in the courtyard of Palmer Place apartments to celebrate one of the final fests of the season in Athens, Ohio Friday, April 22, 2022.

Palmer Place Fest alternative party location set for Hocking Street

Athens Fest, an alternative to Palmer Place Fest, kicks off April 19 on Hocking Street at noon. Following the day's festivities, an after-party will occur on State Street at 7 p.m.

According to a previous Post report, Cornwell Properties canceled BrickLife Entertainment’s involvement with Palmer Place Fest — initially scheduled for April 19 — and limited attendance to tenants of the apartment complex and three guests each. 

Cornwell Properties, owner of the Palmer Place apartment complex located at 25 Kurtz St., reevaluated the event's usual festivities due to concerns over potential liabilities. The company cited the risk of injury, potential insurance issues and the threat of damage to the building from overcrowding.

Cornwell sent an email to its residents outlining the updated guidelines during Palmer Place Fest. The email stated that each tenant could invite up to three guests, with everyone receiving wristbands. Security would also enforce and monitor designated entry points for residents and guests.

BrickLife and 68 Entertainment announced they are hosting Athens Fest to replace Palmer Place Fest on Instagram.

BrickLife will reveal the precise addresses for both events Thursday night. 

Vince Debeljak, a DJ and organizer of Palmer Place Fest through BrickLife, disclosed in a text to The Post that Athens Fest will span three houses in a row, using the connecting back lot to hold an estimated 800-1,000 students. Debeljak wrote that the whole street does not plan on throwing a party.

The lineup boasts special performances from YSN Flow, a hip-hop artist and producer, and rapper YBN Nahmir.

Debeljak revealed a personal connection with YSN Flow, having previously shared the stage with him at last year's Mill Fest. YBN Nahmir was booked through the artist collective Darney Promotions.

Snag and Buddy’s Lounge are also set to host special events and giveaways during the fest. 

Debeljak wrote that the cancellation and venue change led to the withdrawal of certain sponsors, and now with approximately $7,000 at their disposal, organizers are making the best of it given the circumstances.

@maggie.amacher

ma657122@ohio.edu