‘Rebel Moon - Part Two: The Scargiver’ is lackluster

Warning: Major Spoilers Ahead

Netflix introduced the world to Zack Snyder’s futuristic-medieval fantasy world of “Rebel Moon” in December 2023. The film was originally rejected by Lucasfilm but garnered sci-fi lovers’ attention for its homage to “Star Wars.”

Critics hoped the recent release of the 2024 sequel, “Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver,” would revive the sci-fi genre. Its predecessor was on the line of producing it, but the sequel fails to cash in on the buildup.

The beginning of “Part Two” is a direct continuation of the ending of “Rebel Moon.” It starts with the Veldt village preparing for war against the Imperium empire. The war continues with two major character deaths before the battle ends and memorials commence. The film’s main character, former Imperium soldier Kora (Sofia Boutella), continues with a new mission. 

The film’s beginning happens in a lackluster spectacle with minimal character development. Viewers are given a brief recap of the events causing our band of heroes to dissolve before wandering on a path to redemption. These characters, who have been through severe traumas and lost their entire planet and cultures, are reduced to 30-second recounts of traumatic lives.

In one scene, former Imperium general Titus (Djimon Hounsou) sings a song from his culture. The tune reflects Housou’s actual Beninese heritage, influenced by West Africa. However, nothing comes of this addition. We don’t get a look into Titus’ culture or home planet. We don’t get to know who he was as General Titus of the Imperium, or before his time there.

Nemesis (Doona Bae), one of the strongest fighters in the group, is known as a vengeful mother. Scenes show her village burning, her holding her child and her arms being severed to uphold the legacy of robotic arms from her warrior ancestors. We don’t see her before the destruction of her village; we aren’t introduced to her child before their death. We aren’t even shown her as a mother. 

Later in the film, Nemesis bonds with a boy named Eljun (Caden Dragomer). The two have three interactions, one of which is her death. There is no development of a deep bond between the two characters; however, the relationship is meant to show Nemesis healing before her spontaneous death.

Nemesis and Eljun’s first interaction establishes a connection that should have been built through the movie and into the next. Her death was a premature ending to the possibility of an incredible character.

Tarak (Staz Nair) is revealed to be a prince who lost his parents, title and planet to the Imperium. His father was killed while trying to negotiate and stop the imperium from destroying their planet, Samandrai. His mother died with her kingdom because it was her “duty.” Tarak was smuggled off the planet hoping to one day restore it.

Milius (Elise Duffy), a member of the Darrian Bloodaxe (Ray Fisher) insurgence, joined the heroes. She was shown to have come from a farming village enslaved by the imperium. She was sold to a mining labor camp when she was saved by the Bloodaxe insurgence, which she would join.

The characters are too intriguing and captivating for the storytelling to be as poor as it is. We are introduced to many intriguing concepts, such as the complexity of colonization and war. Other ideas, such as the deep-rooted trauma of being a child soldier or doing what it takes to survive, are never explored. Snyder needs to dig deeper into what he is conveying in his storytelling.

However, the movie isn’t all bad. The action is phenomenal; the choreography and cinematography of the fighting scenes are creative and beautiful. Each shows the uniqueness of each character, telling more about it than the actual storytelling.

While the storytelling is lackluster, it is entertaining to watch. However, if you are looking for the next blockbuster masterpiece disappointment awaits.

Rating: 3.5/5

siimply_nyny

ng972522@ohio.edu