Members of Ohio University's Student Senate, sit around a table during their meeting, Sept. 13, 2023.

Student Senate awards Bobcat Medal, changes rules and procedures

Ohio Univeristy Student Senate met Wednesday to award the Bobcat Medal and change outdated rules and procedures. 

A resolution to award the Bobcat Medal was added to the agenda at the beginning of the meeting. The Bobcat Medal is an award given by senate to an individual who makes meritorious contributions to Ohio University students and faculty. 

The Bobcat Medal committee nominated Athens Fire Department Chief Robert Rymer to be the 2024 Bobcat Medal recipient. After the senate voted, it was decided Rymer would receive the award.

“Chief Rymer has been a continuous staple of the Athens and Ohio University communities for many years,” Treasurer Regan Farmer, the primary sponsor of the resolution, said. “He's provided insight education for members of the student senate as well as the entire student body.” 

Farmer also recognized Rymer’s direct contributions within the senate, helping assist the Women’s Affairs Commission with CPR events and the Governmental Affairs Commission with its fire fee bill. 

“Chief Rymer has exemplified courage, dedication and a strong sense of community spirit,” Ruban Lopez, governmental affairs senator, said. “His outstanding service has made a lasting impact on our community. Let us salute his unwavering commitment to keeping us safe and aspire for his leadership in challenging situations.”

Senate passed a resolution to change its rules and procedures to reflect current colleges in the Academic Affairs Commission and to remove colleges that no longer exist. 

The updates to the rules and procedures to replace language that includes the College of Health and Human Services to the College of Health Sciences and Professions, which it is now known as, Dylan DeMonte, academic affairs commissioner, said. 

“The second update is at the request of the Dean of Faculty education, but it's become a requirement of the senator or qualification to sit on the Dean's Student Advisory Council,” Demonte said. “The Advisory Council college committee is when you replace that with the university academic Advisory Council, that's more accurate.”

The resolution also removed the Dean’s council, which DeMonte said he had not heard the meaning of during his time at OU. 

Additionally, the resolution will also remove the need for a senator for the Center of International Studies, because all programs that used to be under that position now fall under the responsibilities of the senator from the College of Arts and Sciences, DeMonte said.

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu