Rooks Reflects: Studying abroad takes independence to another level

Aug. 18, 2022, my parents and I sat at Casa Nueva and reminisced on the past 18 years of our lives together. They had just moved me into my freshman dorm and were about to leave me to my own devices for the first time. As I tried to find my way back to East Green, still misty-eyed from our goodbyes, I thought nothing would ever top the level of independence I was feeling. That is, until I shared similarly misty-eyed goodbyes with my parents before beginning my semester abroad. In the few weeks I’ve been studying in Germany, I’ve realized that I had no idea what real independence was until now. 

A study done by The Institute for College Access and Success asserts that 20% of undergraduate students choose to go to college outside their home states. While this number represents a small number of university students, an article by The New York Times argues those students are acclimated to a large distance between themselves and their homes and are thus more likely to possess the independence needed to study abroad. Because I am not a part of that 20%, I’ve faced a stark learning curve while developing that necessary self-sufficiency. 

The city I’m studying abroad in is almost 4,500 miles away from Ohio, meaning I won’t see some family members and friends for almost six months. The physical distance between myself and my home has also created a mental distance, allowing me to fully comprehend that I am on my own. 

This fact certainly creates some apprehension and additional homesickness, but it has also forced my brain into self-sufficient overdrive; if I need something here that I would typically call my mom for, I have no choice but to handle it on my own. 

There are also aspects of studying abroad I would have no choice but to do on my own, even if my mom was here with me. For the first time in my life, I’m responsible for my own rent, opening a bank account and going through the bureaucratic steps that allow me to legally reside here — and it’s all in another language. 

According to Research in Germany, two-thirds of the country's companies report feeling “disproportionately burdened by government bureaucracy.” This administrative system extends to the regulations that allow international students to study in Germany, and they are not easy to navigate. Going through this process has forced me to become more independent and made me feel like the technicality of an autonomous adulthood is something I will be able to handle when the time comes. 

A huge aspect of studying abroad is spending time alone. According to an article by Forbes everyone should travel alone at some point in their lives for benefits including confidence, self-discovery, new friendships and freedom. Not only have I learned how to navigate traveling alone, but being abroad also entails more natural alone time. 

This fact contributes to a higher level of independence by forcing me to be OK with spending time by myself. There was a time in my life when going a full day without human interaction would have driven me crazy, but I’ve learned to enjoy those days and use them as time for introspection. 

I’ve begun taking myself on trips to shopping centers and coffee shops, all the while learning to not feel self-conscious doing those things without a partner or group. Learning to be OK with living alone is an invaluable lesson, and it's given me the confidence to live an independent life. 

Studying abroad involves difficult moments of loneliness and overwhelming responsibility, but each of these experiences has made me a stronger and more self-sufficient person. I’ve learned how to be alone, how to navigate the difficulties of international bureaucracy and how to survive while far away from home. The experiences I’ve had, and will continue to have over the next four months, have given me a sense of independence I couldn’t fathom when living in a town only three hours away from home. 

Sophia Rooksberry is a sophomore studying journalism. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Sophia know by tweeting her @sophiarooks_