From the Grapevine: To transfer or not to transfer

As the school year comes to an end, it’s normal to look to the future, planning out years ahead. It’s also normal to not like where you are. Maybe you realize college isn’t for you, or your current environment doesn’t suit you. This recognition is a sign that it’s time for a change. If this change means the possibility of transferring schools, it can be a scary decision to make. I transferred to Ohio University after my freshman year at Miami University, and while it was scary, it was one of the best decisions I’ve made.

In the spring semester of 2023, my freshman year, I was a miserable wreck at Miami University. My older brother called me and asked if I ever thought about transferring. I thought that was crazy because I saw it as giving up. I knew if I stuck with it and did my best I could stay and make it work, but I wasn’t happy. My dad shared with me that, after thinking about it, he realized all of the most successful people in his life went to more than one university, switching within their four years. Talking to more people, I realized I know many people who transferred as well. I weighed my options and decided to come here to OU. I didn’t know that many people, and I had to leave friends behind, but I knew it was the right decision. 

Everything that followed my decision only reinforced this, encouraging me that everything would be okay. Friends at Miami told me as much as they wanted me to stay, they knew I would be happier if I left. I visited OU in the spring of 2023 and fell in love with the school, the energy and the people here. Since the fall, the stars have aligned and I have never been happier. I’ve met my future bridesmaids and lifelong friends, but I will always have the friends I made at Miami as well. My heart holds many homes.

So, when is transferring the right decision? It’s important to look at all options. When I was still deciding, I looked at a lot of schools and was looking for future roommates at both Miami and OU. Don’t close any doors until you’re on your way through the right one. Often, when things aren’t working out, people transfer somewhere close to home or to a school close friends already go, providing comfort and safety. This is not a bad idea if homesickness is too much to handle, or you know you’ll be happier with the people you love. 

However, sometimes it’s worth it to stay and try again. An older friend of mine told me she was about to transfer after her freshman year because she felt lost and alone, but she decided to join a new club. She went to one meeting without knowing anyone, and they were different from her normal crowd, but they took her in and treated her with a kindness she had never felt before. Although she didn’t stay committed to the club, it opened her eyes to the endless opportunities to find a home she had never seen. She decided to stay and says it was the best decision she could have made.

Don’t be afraid to make a change when things aren’t working. The only person who will save you or bring you back on track is you, and sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Turning your back on something that isn’t working does not mean you are giving up, it means you are recognizing things that are not aligned for you and choosing to find a better path. Sometimes the first step in a new direction is the hardest one to make. 

My dad always tells me any decision is better than no decision. Even if it doesn’t work, it’s one step closer to something better. If you decide to leave OU, just know you will be missed. Give it a chance if you can, but if you can’t, we will lovingly let you go, wishing you the best of luck. 

Libby Evans is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Libby know by emailing her at le422021@ohio.edu.