Diving into the role of voice actors

Voice actors are the magic behind the scenes for some of our favorite cartoon characters, or the person providing information to an audience with one’s voice. It is a complex job stripping away the physical layer of a performing actor and creating a distinctive demand for the actor's vocal performance.

These actors also face quite a few challenges within the industry. Here’s a description of what it is like to be a voice actor.

Voice acting is a different type of performing. The job involves the usual studying of a script, putting a new twist on a character and bringing new techniques to tie a project together. The only difference is actors only have to use their voices rather than whole bodies.

Careers in voice acting are not limited to just filming, they can also involve radio, commercials, video games and podcasts. No matter the type of work, voice acting involves delivering a performance into a microphone while working alongside a director — who helps guide the right tones to perfect a role. 

Voice acting involves actors having long hours of standing in a recording or home studio setup. For some larger projects, actors may work alongside their coworkers to read scripts together. Although, voice actors are mostly solo with the studio staff or director. 

The requirements to become a voice actor exist outside the need for an acting degree. A film production company may not always consider hiring an actor with a degree over someone who does not. A degree is also not the key to opening the door to success in the industry. 

However, if one has a degree, it does not always guarantee a career. Some of the most successful actors, not just voice actors, have had major success without attending or dropping out of college. However, having the advantage of private coaching or acting classes could have helped some land jobs. 

According to Indeed, an American worldwide employment website, there are certain steps one can take to become a voice actor. The first step is to gain acting skills and experience. Most voice actors have prior experience learning to act on stage or other projects. One could earn an associate or bachelor’s degree in theater arts to understand the fundamentals of acting. Acting classes can also help improve abilities by learning from experts who have mastered the techniques and help one build essential skills. 

The second Indeed recommendation is training workshops. These could fall into coaching, but one could consider attending workshops with other actors to build on their peer's skills. Recording voice-over demos is another step to becoming a voice actor.

Auditioning for roles is the fourth step and one of the most important parts. It is how actors can meet casting agents and directors in the industry. Some websites may post demos for clients searching for particular projects, but consistently auditioning will help one land a job. 

Investing in a home studio or professional materials is another step one can take to build a career in voice acting. According to Spotlight, the largest casting resource in the U.K., there are a few things one would need for a good home studio setup. That includes a computer, specific software, a microphone, an audio interface, a pair of headphones, a pop shield and a good recording environment. 

The last step is for one to always add to their skills. Someone can always improve something in their skills and increase their industry knowledge. Indeed recommends searching for online certification courses to learn more about a particular skill or keep up with the ever-changing industry. 

While it takes time to become a proper voice actor, there are some common problems an actor can run into. According to John Burr's Voice Dynamics, a voice-over training for aspiring voice-over artists, there are seven different problems a voice actor can have with the job.

Some of those problems include actors struggling to find or secure auditions, unpredictable scheduling and flexibility, high stress levels and low pay for the job. Actors may also find themselves struggling with voice fatigue, which can hurt their ability to audition for a role.

Another problem an actor can have is acting skills. While it is only their voice, many actors struggle with bringing characters to life due to their acting abilities. 

Voice acting is a different career for someone interested in joining the entertainment industry. It is a job that requires certain levels of talent to bring fan-favorite cartoons to life.

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu