Alumni offer advice to new Bobcats

Ohio University’s incoming class of 2028 follows generations of graduates since the school’s opening in 1808. With over 100 classes beginning their OU experience by walking through Alumni Gateway, Bobcats in all stages of life are connected through similar traditions and experiences.

Exploring Court Street, located just outside of Alumni Gateway, continues to be a popular way to pass time while in Athens.

Savannah Corn, a 2020 OU graduate, recalls studying at Donkey Coffee with friends, visiting The Athena Cinema and dining at Restaurant Salaam. 

Along with Court Street’s restaurants, cafes and shops, Corn recalls on-campus activities, as well.

“I had a really fun rhythm, where a friend and I would go super early to Ping and we would go and work out, and then we would go to Boyd right afterward,” said Corn.

Finding effective study spots was another exciting part of experiencing Athens for her. Corn recalls studying in the Academic and Research Center with friends.

Charles J. Ping Recreation Center is available to all OHIO ID owners and holds three floors of recreational facilities ranging from a climbing wall, basketball courts, an indoor track, free weights and gym equipment. Ping also holds group fitness classes such as cycling, yoga, boxing and cardio dance.

Along with these fitness and recreational opportunities, intramural sports are also a popular way to spend time at OU. Hannah Kresse, a 2023 graduate, recommends getting involved in these intramural sporting activities. 

“One of my favorite things (during) senior year my friends did – we all were on an intramural soccer team,” said Kresse. “That was literally spring of our senior year, and that was something we should have done earlier because it was so fun.”

Outside of Court Street, The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, located right off campus and accessible outside of South Green, is another favorite spot to stroll, picnic and study.

Exploring Athens is another way to pass time during downtime on weekends. Corn recommends Village Bakery & Cafe, located at 268 E. State St., and visiting local thrift shops. 

Athens offers public transportation outside of the bike path, such as the bus system, which allows students to travel for free with an OHIO ID. 

Regarding campus activities and involvements, Kresse mentioned the impact student organizations had on her college experience and in finding friends.

“I can't speak more highly of (student organizations),” Kresse said. “It doesn't even have to be something that you love, as long as you're doing it with people that you enjoy doing things with. I feel like it's so cool at that point in life to be building personal and professional relationships at the same time.”

Kresse was president of Sierra Student Coalition and said the organization’s vice president and treasurer during her time continue to be her best friends today.

Corn took advantage of OU’s many organizations as well, and was heavily involved with Cru during her time as a student.

For those hesitant about making friends and feeling at home on campus, Kresse held insights.

“Spaces are open and people are so welcoming,” Kresse said. “It feels really good to have somewhere that just isn't your dorm or your house because it's good like mentally to get outside and be somewhere else, and not always spending your time in the same space. But also, those are the places where you’ll meet people and start seeing the same people in and around.”

dh390522@ohio.edu

@dishahoque05