Bridgerton Season 3 Part 1 review

Warning, spoilers ahead:

Season 3 of Netflix’s Bridgerton had its first four episodes released on May 16, and the season’s first part has been a buzz all over social media. Part One leaves the audience wanting more, especially involving an emerging character ship in the series.

The plot in the new season follows Colin Bridgerton (Luke Newton) and Penelope Featherington (Nicola Coughlan), also known as Lady Whistledown, and their friendship blooming into a love story. This season also features Francesca Bridgerton (Hannah Dodd) making her debut in the ton, the upper society in Britain, seeking marriage.

A common theme we see in the season is the idea of change. Examples of change are when Colin returns from his travels abroad with a new personality, Penelope’s new wardrobe and an unlikely friendship between Eloise Bridgerton (Claudia Jessie) and Cressida Cowper (Jessica Madsen).

With all of the change; however, comes tension. This is seen between Penelope and Eloise, who are experiencing a falling out in their friendship. Another set of tension is between Cressida and Penelope, who are both yearning after Lord Debling in the marriage mart. 

After Penelope fails to make an impression on the ton with her new wardrobe, she receives Colin’s help to find a husband. Penelope is seeking marriage to avoid living with her mother and sisters in the Featherington household. She doesn’t know it yet, but Colin will ultimately fall for her. 

Another story we see in the new season is Will Mondrich (Martins Imhangbe) and Alice Mondrich (Emma Naomi) becoming a part of high society after Alice’s great-aunt died. Her great-aunt was Lady Kent, who left everything to Alice’s son and made him the next in line for the Baron of Kent. The family inherits the fortune, estate and invitation into the ton. Following the theme, the Mondrich family learns to adapt to their new life while learning to let go of their old life. 

The season is easy to follow along with all of the different stories happening at once. Season 3 also has some comedic scenes to relieve some of the narrative tension. Many points from the Featherington family give the audience a laugh. Lady Featherington depends on her daughters to produce an heir. But when her other two daughters Philippa and Prudence let her down, she cracks some hilarious one-liners. One of these scenes is trending on TikTok.

The costumes in the new season are fabulous. The team behind the costumes uses the opportunity to present a unique display of costume designs with historic references while also adding a modern twist. 

Penelope's costume changes are big this season, showing how she is expanding beyond her typical bright, citrus colors to blues, greens and purples to attract a husband. Her change of wardrobe also reflects her state of mind. Penelope has been notably characterized as a wallflower since Season One, but it is a power move toward the ton when she changes her clothes and society cannot ignore it. 

Some fantastic music choices are made this season that the audience can’t miss. Music choices like “abcdefu” by GAYLE display Penelope’s attitude when she portrays her new look to the ton. "Give Me Everything" by Pitbull, featuring AFROJACK, NE-YO and Nayer in the iconic carriage scene, helps audiences see themselves in each scene, despite its Regency setting.

Episode Four ends with Colin ruining Penelope’s proposal from Lord Debling. Penelope leaves in tears and Colin follows her to her carriage to express how much he cannot stop thinking about her since they kissed in an earlier episode. They both express how they would like to be more than friends and share a steamy moment together on the carriage ride home to the Bridgerton house. 

Part One cuts off when Colin asks Penelope, “For God’s sake, Penelope Featherington. Are you going to marry me or not?”

Part Two will be released on June 13 and can be streamed on Netflix.

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu