Bobcats provide support, insight for job hunting

For incoming students, the thought of a campus job may be intimidating. However, Ohio University offers several opportunities for Bobcats looking to make extra money and explore their interests. 

With the transition into college, incoming students not only leave their family and friends behind, but also their hometown jobs. This can be a concern for some, as college is exciting, yet costly. 

According to OU, each campus job is “committed to promoting and supporting a workplace and educational environment where healthy and respectful conduct is the cultural norm.” 

The website offers links for students, faculty and staff looking for jobs to reach out to employers and create connections. All are welcome to gain experience and explore their passions, whether that be as an ambassador for the Scripps College of Communication or a cook for the culinary department.  

Students may also have multiple campus jobs depending on their comfortability and schedule. Emily Keith, a sophomore studying early childhood education, works for three different campus departments and said her jobs are educational and fun. 

“As an early childhood education major, I love getting to work with kids and people in general,” said Keith in an email. “I feel my jobs align with my future career very well, and there are many job opportunities for many different majors to get some experience working in their fields.”

Keith said in the email that working as a learning community leader and teaching kids swim lessons at the aquatic center keeps her busy but also creates strong connections with coworkers who share similar interests. 

The time commitment is another concern incoming students may have when job searching. However, one of the several benefits of having a campus job is the flexibility. Lucian Loyve, a sophomore studying theater, works as an event technician in Baker University Center and said their boss understands school is the first priority. 

“I think it’s convenient because they have to accommodate your schedule and they’re really good about that,” Loyve said. “They’re very understanding about how many hours you want to work.” 

Loyve said they don’t work over 15 hours each week and although the pay may not compare to jobs outside of campus, the convenience and flexibility is worth it. 

Apart from researching through the website, new students may also find their advisors and upperclassmen friends to be helpful during their job search. Emma Odson, a junior studying media arts production and communications, said she was grateful her advisor was able to provide support and help amidst the busy school year. 

“I would have never thought that he would have been able to land me a job right away,” Odson said. “Just talk to them, tell them what you’re interested in and they may be able to help, they may not.” 

Odson said her experience working with upperclassmen has helped her learn more about her major and expand knowledge on personal interests. 

All campus jobs aim to support Bobcats, as they can create opportunities for future careers and provide financial support. Keith encourages all incoming students to step out of their comfort zones and get involved. 

“Ask around as well as look on the Ohio university website and social media accounts,” said Keith in an email. “There are many jobs out there and it can be intimidating to reach out to people but never be afraid to talk to people and try something new.”

gn875322@ohio.edu 

gina_napoli_