People walk in the crosswalk in front of Baker University Center at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, Sept. 8, 2023

Places in Athens students should know

Incoming and returning students should know some of the most popular locations near the Ohio University campus, from coffee shops to academic centers. Here is a list of some locations students should be most familiar with when the school year starts. 

Baker Center

Baker Center is one of the main buildings on campus students should be most familiar with. The building, located at 1 Park Place, has five floors with different university services inside. Located on the first floor is the Bobcat Depot, which sells OU merchandise, technology, technological support, school supplies and is the main hub for printing OHIO IDs. 

Students can grab a quick snack or meal on the first floor from dining areas West 82, Latitude 39 and Life is Sweet. Front Room Coffeehouse is also in Baker Center. Most dining spots around campus offer dine-in or to-go services, as well as mobile ordering through the OHIO EATS app. 

Baker also holds university offices such as the Dean of Students, Women’s Center and the Pride Center located throughout the building.

Whether you are looking to get involved on campus, a bite to eat or a study location, Baker Center has it all for OU students. 

Alden Library 

Alden Library, located at 30 Park Place and across the street from Baker Canter, has seven floors with different noise levels for all students to study at their comfort level. The noise levels consist of silent study, quiet study and group study. Alden has computers located on every floor, as well as printers and Café BiblioTech on the second floor to fuel study sessions. The library is the main hub for students to use the academic resources available to be successful in the classroom. 

Alden is also the home of the Academic Achievement Center, where students can get free in-person and online tutoring, writing assistance, academic coaching, first-generation student success and supplemental instruction. 

College Book Store

The College Book Store is located down the street from Baker Center and across from College Green at 50 S. Court St. The bookstore has Bobcat merchandise with the crazy 8’s T-shirts priced at $8.88 and bargain sweatshirts at $18.04, along with school supplies and textbooks. The bookstore also offers textbook buybacks, so students can resell their textbooks back to the store. 

Ping Center

The Charles J. Ping Recreation Center is the campus gym. The building has three floors of equipment for students to use, including a double-sided climbing wall. On the first floor, there are two weight rooms full of cable and free-weight equipment along with volleyball and basketball courts. 

Located on the second floor are the cardio machines including treadmills, stair climbers, rowing machines, bikes and some cable weight machines. The second floor also has racquetball courts and group fitness instruction rooms. There are many free group fitness classes for students to sign up for. The third floor has an indoor track with four lanes. Ping offers other services like personal training and F45 as well. 

Chubb Hall

Chubb Hall, located at 1 Ohio University, holds many university offices, including administrative offices, Undergraduate Admissions, the Office of the Bursar, University Registrar and University College.

Hudson Health Center 

Another location students should know is the Hudson Health Center, located at 2 Church St. The center houses OhioHealth Campus Care and provides students with primary and urgent care. The building also holds Counseling and Psychological Services, which students can make appointments for individual or group counseling.. 

@ashleypomplas 

ap125920@ohio.edu