By Heather Burnett

To be able to host the Mid-American Conference Championships, Ohio must renovate the natatorium and double its lifeguarding staff from that of a typical day. Christian Edens, a lifeguard at the aquatic center and member of Ohio’s cross country team, worked the first three days of the meet. I sat down with him after day three of the competition to see how differently a lifeguard viewed the competition.

How does the pool prepare for something as large as the MAC Championships?

They moved a lot of stuff around. They set up chairs and they had to set up the little lane section things. They double the lifeguard staff, that’s why I have to work three days. Unfortunately, I do not get paid overtime for this.

Do they clean the pool any more carefully for the MACs?

Not that I know of. They have the check the pH every hour on a typical day so there’s not much more they can do.

Do you, as a lifeguard, have to do anything different prior to the event?

Nope. At least, I don’t think so. I just show up to my shift. Oh, we have to move the guard office because the trainers were using the office. We had to relocate.

What part of the pool do you guard during the meet?

We rotate every 15 minutes so I have to do every part.

Do you think you’ll ever have to actually save anyone, considering they’re all probably better swimmers than you?

I would hope not, but I mean the diving part always makes me kind of nervous when the girls’ heads get close to the board when they’re diving.

Did you enjoy tonight’s meet?

It was pretty cool.

What, if anything, did you find most exciting?

The diving was probably the best part, just watching all the girls doing the flips.

As an athlete, does watching these girls compete allow you to give more respect to the swimmers?

Yeah, for sure. Even the times they were swimming were impressive. Not knowing anything about swimming, I was pretty impressed at how fast they were. I know the lanes were 25 yards so I could keep track that way and compare it to running.

After watching this meet, do you think you’ll ever voluntarily go to another swim meet?

No, unless Phelps was there.