With the count tied at 2-2, the rain started to come down harder and harder on Ohio pitcher Emily Wethington as she stood at the plate in the bottom of the fourth. Within a few minutes, the entire field was covered with a tarp, and both Akron and Ohio took refuge in their dugouts as they waited out the delay, hoping for better weather conditions.

But the rain continued to come down, with no end in sight, the game was finally called after a half hour of waiting.

Both coaches agreed to resume the game tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. before the second game of their series, which was originally scheduled to start at 1 p.m. The game will resume in the bottom of the fourth with Wethington at bat and the scored tied at 1-1.

The first inning went by scoreless for both the Bobcats and the Zips. Akron went down 1-2-3 to Wethington while Ohio had two players reach base, but none scored.

Alexis Joseph led off the Bobcats, but only reached base after being hit by a pitch. The next two in the lineup, Paige Kemezis and Melissa Bonner both got out, while Wethington made it to first on an error. The inning ended when Joseph tried to advance home, only to be tagged out sliding in.

The first numbers to the score were added in the second inning when Sara Clark homered to lead off the Bobcats. The ball went down the left field line, barely making it into fair territory.

The Zips responded in the fourth inning before the rain delay when first baseman Alissa Birkhimer homered to center field, tying the game.

The Bobcats and Zips will resume their game tomorrow morning.

@ThePostSports