The Alexander Spartans are looking forward to this weekend's game against rival Athens. I spoke with the Spartan headman during the week and here are some interesting tidbits from our conversation.

On Alexander's loss to Wellston last week:

"As far as the game is concerned with Wellston, there's no shame that we lost to Wellston. Wellston is a good team. They've got a D1 kid. There's no one down here that has a D1 kid really so I mean he showed up in that game and did a good job, he accounted for 200 and some yards on offense. Our kids have regrouped and are focused this week and we're working on some things that we work on every week."

On playing another good back after struggling against the run a week ago:

"(Wellston) was the best team that we faced up front. (They) could be one of the better teams on the defensive front, could be the best team in the league up-front. You can tell on film. I see everyone on film and they're pretty damn good up-front. Even though the score was 48-0 at Nelsonville, Nelsonville repeatedly run the ball in the interior between the tackles and nobody has. I watched them live against Jackson and Jackson, who's undefeated, was unable to run the ball in the interior. So does it prepare you? Yes it can because I think that they are pretty dag-on good up-front."

On learning from last week and moving forward:

"It's easier to win right? I mean when you win, it's harder to lose but do you learn anything from it? Well I think as a staff, we've got things wrong that we've got to get right. I think the kids know what they did that they've got to change and that means on and off the field and that's it."

The Alexander vs. Athens game is slated to kick-off Friday (10/14) at 7:30 p.m. as Basil Rutter field will be the site for the 2011 edition of the annual rivalry game.