College Book Store is having a promotion for the Miami vs. Ohio basketball game, dubbed Gary Trent Day in honor of the “Shaq of the MAC.”

The bookstore is selling shirts with Trent’s iconic No. 20 on the front. Trent was a three-time Mid American Conference player of the year during his career at Ohio. He also amassed 2,108 career points and 1,050 career rebounds. Trent was selected as the 11th pick of the 1995 NBA draft.

Andrew Stout , the store’s associate general manager, came up with the idea for a shirt about a week ago. Stout’s main reason for designing the shirt was because he thought it would be neat for people to wear Trent’s number while his jersey is raised.

“Even if the average student doesn’t really know who Gary Trent is, I thought, ‘well I know some people will wear it, and how cool would it be to be one of those people wearing his number when they raise it to the rafters,’ ” Stout said.

College Book Store, based in Athens, has its own merchandising license and pays royalties to the university, which allowed Stout to have a quick turnaround on the shirt.

Stout also wanted a way for fans to show their appreciation for the Shaq of the MAC.

“Wouldn’t it be neat for a hardcore fan to be able to wear his number for seven dollars as a tribute to a player?” Stout said. “He was huge at the time.”

This is the first time Stout has produced a historical numbered shirt and said he would consider making more shirts honoring Bobcat greats if the results are positive. The shirts are available at College Book Store for $6.60. 

mk277809@ohiou.edu