Lindenwood improved its record to 17-0-0 in the Central States Collegiate Hockey league this season with a 5-1 victory against fifth-seeded Illinois in the semifinal round of the CSCHL tournament Saturday afternoon at Bird Arena.

With the win the Lions move into Sunday’s championship game, in which they will take on the winner of Saturday night’s second semifinal between third-seeds Robert Morris and second-seeds Ohio.

Lindenwood had slightly the better of the in a first-period that was fairly even with very few good chances for either side. Illinois got the first power play opportunity of the game 12 minutes in but were unable to convert.

The Lions had no such problems on their first man-advantage, taking a lead 15 minutes in when Bret Morrell put one past Fighting Illini goaltender Nick Clarke low on the stick-side. 

Illinois came out firing to start the second, putting the first five shots of the period on Lindenwood goalie Linus Ahgren. Illini forward Matt Welch finally found a way past Ahgren at the 14:40 mark on a 3-on-2 two break to even the scores.

But the tie lasted all of 38 seconds as Cameron Chinnery responded for the Lions immediately. The game remained at 2-1 for the next 12 minutes as Illinois started to change the tide of the game but was unable to take advantage of a 4-on-3 PP, and with 2:22 left in the period Niklas Bunnstedt made them pay when he put the Lions up 3-1.   

Lindenwood put the game away three minutes into the third when Peppi Sipila and Bunnstedt scored 33 seconds apart and the game finished 5-1. The scoreline was a bit flattering for the Lions, and shots on goal were actually even at 21

Ahgren was the difference, making 20 saves for the win while Clarke stopped only 16 of the 21 shots Lindenwood threw on him in the loss.

Saturday night’s second semifinal between Ohio and Robert Morris is set for a 7:30 start, while Sunday’s championship game will begin at noon.

Quick Stats:

Shots on goal: Lindenwood 21, Illinois 21

Lindenwood goals: Niklas Bunnstedt (2) Bret Morrell, Cameron Chinnery, Peppi Sipila

Illinois goal: Matt Welch

cd211209@ohiou.edu