Sometimes the difference between a win and a loss is .004 seconds. Add that to the list of tough lessons the Blue Jackets have learned this season.

Coming off a 6-0 thrashing the night before, Columbus was looking for more of a concentrated team effort against Los Angeles. The result? Arguably the most heart-wrenching loss of the season as the Kings’ late-game theatrics gave them the 3-2 victory.

Until the final shot, everything that didn’t click against the Sharks was working in Los Angeles. From their defensive zone to the other end of the ice, Columbus played a much more individualistic game rather than being dictated by its opponents.

The Blue Jackets erased a pair of one-goal leads to stay in the game. Also contributing to the closeness of the game was Columbus’ much improved discipline. But Los Angeles did not need many opportunities to expose the shorthanded Blue Jackets. Two of the Kings’ three goals came on the power play, including the game-winner.

Los Angeles kicked off the scoring in the first period when Justin Williams notched a goal on the man-advantage.

Williams’ tally separated the teams until 1:09 of the second period when Derek Dorsett made it 1-1. The tie was eventually broken later in the frame when Los Angeles forward Dustin Penner grabbed a turnover at the blue line and stuffed his shot inside the near post for the 2-1 advantage.

In the third period, the Blue Jackets’ newest acquisition, Colton Gillies, picked up his first goal of the season to tie the game at 2-2.

Then, the unthinkable happened.

With the game tied and just under one second remaining, Kings’ defenseman Drew Doughty moved down to the slot, dropped to one knee and snapped a loose puck past Curtis Sanford for the win. Not surprisingly, the Staples Center erupted. Columbus, once again a victim of misfortune, was silent.

The Blue Jackets have a day to reflect before heading to Anaheim for the final contest of their three-game California swing. 

mm277809@ohiou.edu