With an emphatic sweep of Robert Morris at Bird Arena last weekend, Ohio not only got a boost in confidence, but a lift in the conference standings.

The Bobcats’ performance gave them sole possession of first place in the Central States College Hockey League with 35 points and no more points to gain in the group. But figuring out what chance other teams have to dethrone Ohio is a difficult task.

The point system is a complex one in that the points a team earns in a game is dependent upon the amount of times teams play.

If a squad only plays a school within the league once, a win in regulation against the school is worth six points, an overtime win is worth four, an overtime or shootout defeat is two points and a regulation loss provides nothing.

But if schools play four times throughout the season, the value of the matchup is split in half with the win being worth three points and each of the other results following suit.

Since Ohio has finished conference play, it has no remaining opportunities to add cushion to its current five point lead.

Though all of the teams will continue to the conference tournament, a top two seed gives schools a first round bye. Without the bye, a team would have to win three games in three days — a task Ohio coach Dan Morris would like to avoid.

Illinois, which currently sits in second place in the CSCHL with 30 points, could overtake Ohio in its home series against Robert Morris next month by either winning one game in regulation or winning two games in a shootout or in overtime.

In third place sits Lindenwood, which has perhaps the best chance to overthrow the Bobcats with 25 points earned and an additional 30 points possible with series against Indiana, Iowa State and Robert Morris on its upcoming slate. Two regulation wins during that six-game stretch would put the Lions ahead of Ohio.

Fourth place Robert Morris, which has remaining conference matchups against the Illini and Lions, have 21 points and would most likely need to win three out of those four games in regulation to have a chance at a top seed in the league tourney.

Iowa State (17 points) and Indiana (10 points), which are in the cellar of the CSCHL, have been eliminated from contention for a top seed in the conference tournament.

ch203310@ohiou.edu