The Bobcats are off to an inauspicious early portion of the season. But with just a 3-10 record, the season can't be classified as a lost cause yet.

The Bobcats' new look offense has created a learning curve that shows in the box score. In some games, Ohio will have trouble scratching out hits. The next game the Bobcats will score 10 or more runs.

In truth, coach Rob Smith would probably like the team to spread out its offesnive outbursts. A 12-3 outburst in Ohio's lone victory in the series was bookended by a 6-4 defeat and 6-2 loss in the Bobcats' first home series of the season against Oakland.

Senior middle infielder Ben Otto paced the Bobcat attack in the victory with five runs batted in the victory and sophomore first basemen Jake Madsen has picked up right where he left off last season.

Freshman outfielder Nick Squires is providing punch at the top of the lineup.

The production has been there, just on an inconsistent basis.

It wasn't the case in the Oakland series but Ohio has also allowed its opponents  score in the early innings, placing onus on the Bobcats and taking them out of there game plan.

Smith has also worked a lot of arms, giving pitchers a chance to find themselves and see where they succeed. But outside of freshman Jake Miller, its been a struggle to find consistentcy as well.

But with plenty of games on the schedule it's hard to close the book on a team with more than 40 games left in the regular season.

nr225008@ohiou.edu