Ohio (15-10) ended its five-game losing strerak Saturday when it swept a Canisius in a doubleheader. The Bobcats won the first game 4-0 and the second 7-6.

Pre-game

Ohio (13-10) will attempt to bring its season-long five-game losing streak to a close Saturday during a doubleheader against Canisius. 

The Golden Griffins and Bobcats have reflected similar trends this season. Canisius began the year 7-1, but have since cooled off, much like Ohio, which is in the midst of a five-game losing streak.

Ohio as a team has experienced a drought offensively during the season-long losing streak. The Bobcats have been outscored 42-13 in their past five games, but are hopeful to breakout of the slump Saturday, though it may not be easy.

Junior pitcher Jen Consaul leads the Golden Griffins from inside the circle with seven wins, 46 strikeouts and a 2.33 ERA. She has also pitched a team-high 69 innings this season, but senior Amanda Baun has also recorded a 2.57 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 30 innings pitched.

The teams have not played each other since 2011, when Ohio won 6-0, while both teams were playing in a California tournament.

Game One

Ohio's starting lineup: sophomore Timmie Rappe 7, senior Lauren Gellerman 2, senior Caitlin Colvin 3, sophomore Adrienne Gebele 9, junior Raven King 3, sophomore Kaylin Clarke DH, senior Tessa Bailey 4, freshman Amanda Dalton 6, junior Alyssa Wolfe 8 and sophomore Lauren McClary P.

First Inning

Top: McClary retired the Golden Griffins in order by forcing a pair of foul outs and a ground out.

Bottom: Two Bobcats reached base to begin the inning when Gellerman singled and Colvin walked. Gebele then doubled to score Gellerman, which was followed by King's RBI single. Ohio was unable to score any more runners, but finished the inning with a 2-0 lead.

Second Inning

Top: McClary walked one batter, but allowed no other runners to reach base, as Canisius has yet to record a hit.

Bottom: Ohio was retired in order.

Third Inning

Top: McClary allowed her first hit of the game when freshman Alexis Roman doubled to center for Canisius. No more Golden Griffins were able to reach safely, as McClary has faced just 11 batters in three innings. 

Bottom: Colvin led off the inning with a single to right field. She then advanced to second base when Gebele grounded out. King and Clarke then struck out to finish the inning.

Fourth Inning

Top: Canisius once again was retired in order. McClary forced a pair of groundouts and a flyout, as she allowed just one hit in the first four innings.

Bottom: Bailey reached on an error by the left fielder to begin the inning, which allowed her to reach second base. Dalton then bunted and reached first safely on an error, but was thrown out while trying to advance to second base. Bailey, however, scored to give Ohio a 3-0 lead. Wolfe then reached on a walk, but Rappe then lined into a double play to end the inning.

Fifth Inning

Top: McClary struck out the first two Golden Griffin batters, but freshman Bethany DeMarco then singled for Canisius. However, no other batters reached base, as McClary finished the inning with a lineout.

Bottom: Gellerman led off the inning with a solo home run, her ninth of the season, but the next three Bobcats got out to end the inning. Ohio led 4-0 after five innings.

Sixth Inning

Top: The first two Canisius batters didn't reach safely, but sophomore Robin Kennery then singled. However, Gellerman threw her out while Kennery attempted to steal second base.

Bottom: The first two Bobcats did not reach base, but Dalton singled, before Wolfe was hit by a pitch. However, Ohio failed to score any runs.

Seventh Inning

Top: McClary allowed three hits to load the bases, but was able to avoid allowing any runs to finish the complete-game shutout.

Final

Canisius   000   000   0   —   0  6  1

Ohio         200   110   x   —   4  8  0

Game Two

Ohio'a starting lineup and batting order: Lashley 7, Walker 8, Gellerman DH, Colvin 3, King 5, Gebele 2, Bailey 4, Dalton 6, Eyrise 9 and sophomore Savannah Jo Dorsey 1. 

First Inning

Top: Cannisius struck first with two hits, including an RBI double from freshman Megan Cuda to give the Golden Griffins a 1-0 lead. 

Bottom: Walker got the first hit for the Bobcats with an infield single, which was followed by a single from Gellerman to advance Walker to third. King then drove the ball to right field for a sac fly scoring Walker. Both teams scored one run on two hits in the first. 

Second Inning

Top: After getting the lead-off batter out, Dorsey allowed her third hit of the game. She walked the next batter, before loading the bases after hitting a Canisius batter. However, Dorsey didn't allow any runs, as she escaped damage by forcing a groundout of the next batter. 

Bottom: Gebele began the inning with a double off the right field wall. Bailey then bunted to advance Gelele to third base, who was unable to score after getting out on Dalton's fielder's choice. Dalton stole second and third base, before scoring on a passed ball go give Ohio a 2-1 lead. 

Third Inning

Top: Canisius was retired in order, after Dorsey forced a groundout, strikeout and fly out. 

Bottom: A Canisius error allowed Lashey to reach, but she was then thrown out attempting to steal second base. After Walker grounded out, Gellerman belted a homer over the scoreboard on centerfield to give Ohio a 3-1 lead. Colvin then followed with a solo home run herself on the next pitch for her 12th of the season. King then struck out looking to end the inning. 

Fourth Inning

Top: Senior Katie Medina began the inning with a lead off double that landed inches from the foul line. Dorsey allowed another hit, but the Golden Griffins did not score, despite having runners at first and third. 

Bottom: Gebele hit Ohio's third home run of the game, as she launched the ball over the left field fence to give Ohio a 5-1 lead. Dalton then reached on error, but did not advance past second base. The Bobcats had five runs on six hits at that point. 

Fifth Inning

Top: Dorsey threw just four pitches in the inning, forcing a trio of fly outs and retiring Canisius in order. 

Bottom: Walker led off with a bunt single, but was called out for leaving the base early during the next at-bat. Pinch hitter D.J. Engleman then walked. King then also reached to put runners on first and second, after the shortstop committed an error while attempting to catch a ball in the sun. Both runners scored the next at-bat, when Gelebe reached on an error by the leftfielder. She made it to second base on the play, but did not score before the inning ended. 

Sixth Inning

Top: Medina reached on an error to begin the inning when Gebele overthrew the first baseman after fielding a bunt attempt. Canisius' DeMarco hit a two-run home run with two outs to cut the deficit to 7-3. The Golden Griffins scored two more runs in the inning. Dorsey also was replaced in the inning by sophomore Kaitlyn Clarke. 

Bottom: Ohio was retired in order. 

Seventh Inning

Top: Clarke forced the first Canisius batter to groundout, which was followed by a fly out. Sophomore Marissa Miller then doubled to center and scored on another double by freshman Toir Nappo. The next batter grounded out to end the game. 

Final

Canisius   100   004   1   —   6  11  3

Ohio         112   120   x   —   7   7  1

cl027410@ohiou.edu