Dayton swept Ohio in a pair of games Friday, which were the first two of the season in Athens.

Pregame

Ohio will play its first home game Friday, when the Bobcats host Dayton for a doubleheader that will likely finish under the lights for the first time in program history.

Poor field conditions delayed the games from their originally scheduled date of Wednesday and also moved the games from Dayton to Athens. However, two extra days of practice may not be enough preparation time for the Flyers.

Ohio (13-6) has won 12 consecutive games against Dayton, including a sweep last season, when the Bobcats scored 25 runs in a home doubleheader. Ohio also belted 29 hits, nine of which were home runs in its pair of slugfest victories.

“We never go into games thinking we are going to hit as many home runs as we have been able to,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “Friday is a new day, challenge and umpire than last season, even though we played great last season.”

Through just 19 games this season, Ohio has hit 29 home runs and is on base to break the team’s single-season record for the third straight year.

Leading the offensive explosion has been a pair of seniors, designated hitter Caitlin Colvin and catcher Lauren Gellerman. The duo has already combined for 17 bombs, led by Colvin’s nine, which leads the Mid-American Conference.

In addition to her eight home runs, Gellerman has driven in 32 Ohio runners and leads the team with a .435 batting average. She earned the MAC East player of the week award Tuesday for the second time this season.

While Ohio has almost tripled Dayton’s home run total thus far, the Flyers (4-10) are second in the Atlantic 10 with 12 long balls.

Senior outfielder Kathleen Maloof, leads Dayton offensively with team-highs in batting average, hits, home runs and RBIs, while sophomore pitcher Kayla English will attempt to contain the Bobcats hitters.

English has a 3.48 ERA in more than 50 innings this season, while striking out 55 and walking 36 batters. She faced 25 batters in just 4 2/3 innings pitched against the Bobcats last season.

The Bobcats lead the all-time series against the Flyers 18-2. Dayton lost its first six games of the season, but finished 2-2 last weekend in South Carolina.

Game One

Ohio's lineup and batting order: freshman Alexia Cortez 4, sophomore Timmie Rappe 9, senior Lauren Gellerman 2, senior Caitlin Colvin 3, junior Raven King 5, sophomore Adrienne Gebele DH, junior Erin Lashley 7, freshman Amanda Dalton 6, junior Alyssa Wolfe 8 and sophomore Lauren McClary 1.

First Inning

Top: Despite walking a runner and allowing a runner to reach by error, McClary was able to avoid allowing any Dayton runners to score. 

Bottom: Dayton's sophomore pitcher retired the Bobcats in order. 

Second Inning

Top: McClary retired the Flyers in order, with the Bobcat defense recording putouts on each out. 

Bottom: King reached base after being hit by a pitch. She then stole second base and scored on the following pitch when Gebele slapped an RBI single to right field. However, she was stranded at first base, as Ohio's next two batters could not extend the inning. 

Third Inning

Top: Senior Leah Sitter began the inning with a double off the wall for the Flyers. She came around to score when the next batter, sophomore Natalie Mariano, singled to right field. Dayton's next two batters then reached safely by bunts to load the bases. After Ohio forced the first out of the inning, sophomore Tiffany Ricks belted a grand slam to give Dayton a 5-1 lead. However, the next two Flyers recorded outs to end the inning. 

Bottom: Wolfe reached base to begin the inning after being hit by a pitch, but she was called out on the next pitch after she attempted to leave the base early. Rappe singled with two outs, before Gellerman walked. Colvin then struck out to end Ohio's half of the inning. 

Fourth Inning

Top: Ohio retired Dayton in order, as McClary struck out the first two batters. 

Bottom: The Boncats were then retired in order during their half of the inning.

Fifth Inning

Top: McClary retired the Flyers in order, marking eight consecutive batters that failed to reach base for Dayton. 

Bottom: Wolfe reached base with one out on an infield single, but she would be Ohio's lone player to reach base. After another out, Rappe doubled to centerfield, putting runners at second and third. But a Gellerman fly out ended the inning. 

Sixth Inning

Top: The first two Flyers batters reached base safely by walk and then an error. King then recorded a putout, but the runners advanced to second and third base. Dayton scored again to take a 6-1 lead after a sacrifice fly, before McClary finished the inning by forcing the next batter to pop out. 

Bottom: Colvin reached by walk to lead off Ohio's half, followed by a two-run homer from King. Ohio then trailed just 6-3. However, the next three Bobcats got out to finish the inning. 

Seventh Inning

Top: McClary walked sophomore Jordan Jennings, who came around to score when the following batter, Maloof, doubled to right field. Freshman pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey then came in to relieve McClary after 6.1 innings pitched. Dorsey forced a line out and recorded a strikeout to finish the inning. 

Bottom: Wolfe began with a single up the middle, before senior Tessa Bailey struck out while pinch hitting. Wolfe then stole second base, before Rappe walked to put runners on first and second. Junior Alysha Issacson came in to relieve English with one out. Gellerman singled up the middle to score Wolfe. But Colvin then popped out, before King grounded out to end the game.

Final

Dayton    005   001   1   —   7  4  0

Ohio        010   002   1   —   4  7  1

Game Two

Ohio's starting lineup and batting order: Rappe 9, Lashley 7, Gellerman DH, Colvin 3, King 5, Gebele 2, Bailey 4, Dalton 6, Wolfe 8, Dorsey P. 

First Inning

Top: Dayton began the game with a lead off home run, but Dorsey was able to limit the damage to just one run. 

Bottom: The Bobcats were retired in order in their half of the inning after a pair of great defensive plays from Dayton. 

Second Inning

Top: Dorsey struck out the first two Flyer batters, before forcing a pop out to end the inning. No Dayton runners reached base. 

Bottom: Colvin singled to begin the inning, before King drew a walk to put runners on first and second. However, the next three Bobcats were retired to end the inning. 

Third Inning

Top: Dorsey struck out the first Flyer to bat, before walking Sitter, next. She was thrown out attempting to streak second base for the second out. King then recorded the final putout. 

Bottom: Wolfe led off with a basehit past the shortstop. She then advanced to third base after Rappe and Lashley each grounded out. Gellerman then grounded out to end the inning and strand Wolfe. 

Fourth Inning

Top: Dayton's first two batters reached by a walk and an error — both then advanced to second and third base after a groundout. Dorsey struck out the next batter for the second out, before walking another Flyer to load the bases. Dayton scored its second run of the game after freshman Paige Rhodes was hit by a pitch that brushed her jersey. Dorsey finished the inning by striking out the next batter. 

Bottom: Colvin struck out, followed by a King fly out to center field. Gebele then doubled to right-center field, before Bailey lined out to center, ending the inning.

Fifth Inning

Top: Dorsey allowed a single to begin the inning and after getting two puts, she hit another batter to put runners on first and second. But Dorsey struck out the next batter to end the inning. 

Bottom: Ohio recorded two quick outs, despite a pair of line drives hit directly at Dayton infielders. Rappe then grounded out, as no Bobcats reached base in the inning. 

Sixth Inning

Top: Dayton's first batter grounded out on just the second pitch. Dorsey then walked a Flyer before Rhodes singled up the middle. The next batter reached on a walk to load the bases. However, Dorsey escaped danger again with a strike out, until Mariano belted a two-run double. Sophomore Jordan Jennings then reached on an error, which scored two runs.

Bottom: With one out, Gellerman walked before Colvin hit a two-run homer. However, the next two batters could not muster any more offense in the inning. 

Seventh Inning

Top: Dorsey retired the side in order to complete a complete game. She allowed just five hits. 

Bottom: Bailey led off with a single, followed by a single from sophomore DJ Engleman to put runners on first and second, each of which advanced on a wild pitch. Wolfe then walked to load the bases and bring the tying run to the plate. But Rappe followed with a fielder's choice that didn't score any Bobcats, but Basquez grounded out next and drove in a run. Gellerman flied out to end the game. 

Final

Dayton    100   104   0   —   6  5  0

Ohio        000   002   1   —   3  6  2

Up Next

Ohio (13-8) will hit the road next to play Eastern Kentucky (11-9) on Tuesday. The Bobcats split a doubleheader with the Colonels last season, as Ohio won the first, but was shutout in the second game.

The games will be Eastern Kentucky’s first at home this season, while the Colonels have lost four of their past five games. 

cl027410@ohiou.edu